Differential from 68 New Yoker or Newport

my5thmopar

Reaction score
Is it worth saving! Complete diff with 741 case and 2.76 open. I thought it would be a 742 but, maybe got a couple of chunks messed up. WIW?

G'Day,
Please Forgive My Comments,
But, If You Don't have a use for Something There is More Than Likely Someone Who Does.
All the Crying that goes on About how some Parts are Impossible to Get is Caused by the Fact that Nobody bothered to Save Them to Start with.
Not Criticizing You at All, Over the Years I have Done the Same Many Times Myself.
But My Advice to My Fellow Club Members has Always Been, Save It, You can Always Swap it for Some Thing You Do Need.
Regards, Tony.M

G'Day,
Please Forgive My Comments,
But, If You Don't have a use for Something There is More Than Likely Someone Who Does.
All the Crying that goes on About how some Parts are Impossible to Get is Caused by the Fact that Nobody bothered to Save Them to Start with.
Not Criticizing You at All, Over the Years I have Done the Same Many Times Myself.
But My Advice to My Fellow Club Members has Always Been, Save It, You can Always Swap it for Some Thing You Do Need.
Regards, Tony.M
I have a hoard of hard parts, engine, diff, transmission etc. I'm cleaning the shop and need to sell some or give away some stuff. If I was an Abody diff it wouldn't be any question but, it seems the Cbody variety not to sought-after. I don't throw anything away if at all possible. I've tried to sell stuff and no takers. I had some corvette parts that I gave away today. It just seems like it's more trouble than it's worth sometimes selling stuff.

Last edited:
Tall gears are getting more popular with todays hiway speeds. I am now running 2.76s in my Barracuda and still get passed at 3000 rpms.
Going to an 46rh and 3.55s this winter…..

Should have said mixed up. I had 3 and I wasn't sure which one was in it. I found a 741 with 294 today. I think that was in it.
I run 2.94 in my 68 Newport.
Great highway gear and perfect for a heavy car in town to get up and go.
Happy medium between 2.76 and 3.23.
741's are underrated and are beefy enough for street applications. Yet gets a bad rap but only in racing purposes.
Hope this helps.

20221119_195242.jpg

Last edited:
You are right that C body axle housings are not easy to find a buyer for.
And the 741 case isn't looked for either, even though it will hold up just fine for anything but drag racing with very sticky tires.
If you have the room, I'd just set it aside for "someday". If room is getting tight, I'd pull the pumpkin and keep it and send the rest to the boneyard if you must.

I too have saved parts for decades just to never find anybody that wants it. Or the people looking are a thousand miles away and shipping isn't viable.
I have had to make the hard decision to scrap some things knowing that somebody somewhere wants them but I've never been able to locate them.

Back