Dimmer switch for '69

jmustian

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
My '69 300 convertible has a 4 prong dimmer switch but they appear no longer made. Will a 3 prong work?

My '69 300 convertible has a 4 prong dimmer switch but they appear no longer made. Will a 3 prong work?
Hi J,
Just for clarity: are you talking about the foot dimmer for the headlights or the dash panel thumbwheel dimmer?
Thanks

Found one online for $60. Also fits lincolns
You know.. Now that I think of it, there was another thread about this and IIRC, it was a Ford/Lincoln fitment too.

Now I gotta look....

I was on wrong comment other day. I found a lincoln 4 wire for $10 a friend had. I also found a relay for headlights with sentinal lights for $60. They said it was for a 70's lincoln

Big John: The reason that $250 switch is so expensive, is because it is a "dipper switch". Now those dimmer switches can be had around fairly easily for less than $75, but the "dipper" is another animal altogether and a rare beast indeed!

I was on wrong comment other day. I found a lincoln 4 wire for $10 a friend had. I also found a relay for headlights with sentinal lights for $60. They said it was for a 70's lincoln
I think the entire system is shared with Ford/Lincoln. I've looked at other stuff, like power antennas and power windows, that use very similar bits and pieces in the Fords.
Big John: The reason that $250 switch is so expensive, is because it is a "dipper switch". Now those dimmer switches can be had around fairly easily for less than $75, but the "dipper" is another animal altogether and a rare beast indeed!
Ahh... I see the difference now.

In British literature lheadlights are "dipped" not "dimmed". Thier cars are equipped with "Left dip" lights for use in England, and "right dip" for export. British motor cycles had "vertical dip" lights. Just some trivia from experience with Austins and Triumph bikes. Lindsay

c7e5684861193cd82eb25e139d811ca4.jpg

Back