Bypassing a Panel Dimmer Switch

lemondana

Reaction score
How is the best way to bypass this panel dimmer switch on my 71 Polara, so I have full bright panel lights all of the time. What wires are connected together or what terminals?

Remove the panel dimmer switch, then solder a wire on each end of the variable resistance coil. This bypasses the resistance portion and gives full power to the lighting. Reinstall the panel dimmer switch to the instrument cluster and be sure that the wire you installed does not touch anything else that could cause a short and you are good to go. There are also vendors that can repair your existing switch if you chose to go that route.

Dave

From Wyatt.

Same principles apply for the 71. He can bypass the thumbwheel all together and make a jumper

@Devinism rebuilds these panel dimmer switches. I have one of his rebuilt on my 1970 Fury convertible.

If you need a temp fix, you can run power off your fuse box to a toggle switch under the dash. The other side of the toggle is the orange power input to your instrument cluster (also ash tray and console lights, if you have them)

LED lights help a lot in the instrument cluster flood panel. For sale on Amazon.
Amazon product ASIN B098KYC6XS1893 is the OEM part number for Polara I believe, but you should check that in your factory service manual.

Back