disc brake swap.

This is how you want it.

View attachment 53674

For my installation I followed Richard Ehrenberg's "Disc-O-Tech" write up and how the factory routing of my hard brake lines were. In his write-up he states, "Note that in all cases the calipers are on the front - this maintains factory specifications for hose routing, saving your butt. Resist the temptation to reverse them, unless you are REALLY REALLY sure you've got the hose routing 'covered' at the limits of steering and suspension travel, no abrasion, etc."

Looking again at the photos in his write up, the hard brake lines are "aft" the rotor rather than "forward" as in my situation.

I'm using '73 spindles and brake hoses from that year as well.

That said, can any C-Body '65-'66 NY, NP, TC guys who have done the disc brake upgrade chime in on what you did. Better yet, photos speak a thousand words so those would be appreciated. If you'd rather email me the info than post here that would be great too!

2015-03-14 10_opt (1).jpg

Last edited:
i dunno if your suspension travel is maxxed out during this picture you took - but think - for your car to stretch that brake line that far, your wheel has to be off the ground. if your wheel is off the ground when you are driving, you probably have bigger issues to think about.

i used the ECI brake kit, and did relocate the brake lines from forward of control arm to behind control arm.

in the ECI kit, they supplied raybestos lines, banjo style, off 79-82 camaro? and they bolted right in.

$.02

- saylor

i dunno if your suspension travel is maxxed out during this picture you took - but think - for your car to stretch that brake line that far, your wheel has to be off the ground. if your wheel is off the ground when you are driving, you probably have bigger issues to think about.

i used the ECI brake kit, and did relocate the brake lines from forward of control arm to behind control arm.

in the ECI kit, they supplied raybestos lines, banjo style, off 79-82 camaro? and they bolted right in.

$.02

- saylor

Thanks Saylor :sSig_thanks: your $.02 makes all the sense! When I took the picx I didn't think about the front wheels hanging thereby maxing out the suspension and brake hose travel :eek:ops:

Feeling so stupid LOL!

Looks like the RAYBESTOS BH36845 with the banjo type fitting would work better than the straight line I presently have.

For my installation I followed Richard Ehrenberg's "Disc-O-Tech" write up and how the factory routing of my hard brake lines were. In his write-up he states, "Note that in all cases the calipers are on the front - this maintains factory specifications for hose routing, saving your butt. Resist the temptation to reverse them, unless you are REALLY REALLY sure you've got the hose routing 'covered' at the limits of steering and suspension travel, no abrasion, etc."

Looking again at the photos in his write up, the hard brake lines are "aft" the rotor rather than "forward" as in my situation.

I'm using '73 spindles and brake hoses from that year as well.

I contacted Richard Ehrenberg writer of "Disc-O-Tech" and presented him with my situation.

His response: Quoting the famous line from Cool Hand Luke: “What we have here is failure to communicate”. That line of mine you quote refers to the “main” target vehicles. On a ‘65-‘72 C-body, you need to emulate the OEM ‘73 C-body setup which is, indeed, rear-hung calipers"
So, I need to swap around my spindles and hang the calipers in the rear.... :eek:hyes: Good info for anyone using '73 spindles. I'll post a pic when I get everything squared away.

Thanks all for your help!
:clap:

Last edited:
I contacted Richard Ehrenberg writer of "Disc-O-Tech" and presented him with my situation.

His response: Quoting the famous line from Cool Hand Luke: “What we have here is failure to communicate”. That line of mine you quote refers to the “main” target vehicles. On a ‘65-‘72 C-body, you need to emulate the OEM ‘73 C-body setup which is, indeed, rear-hung calipers"
So, I need to swap around my spindles and hang the calipers in the rear.... :eek:hyes: Good info for anyone using '73 spindles. I'll post a pic when I get everything squared away.

Thanks all for your help!
:clap:

I made the same mistake when I did mine. Those pics in the article are for a B-body. Once I hung the calipers to the rear it went like it was built that way. I tweaked the hardline and bracket slightly to get the hose routing to work better.

Kevin

Brake hose should cross centerline of the spindle, they just work better like that.

Swapped the spindles, hung the caliper on the rear and got Raybestos BH36756 brake hoses (15.25"). Lock to Lock hose clearance issues perfect even with suspension travel maxed out!

'73 Spindle Setup is definitely the way to go! All that is needed are Spindles & Caliper Brackets from a '73 C-Body. Can't beat the beefiness of the OEM Caliper Brackets which also enable you run the huge 11.75" rotors, however you'll need 15" rims.

Don't exactly know what C-Body my spindles came off of, but I got most all the needed parts from RockAuto. I keyed in 1973 Chrysler (For New Yorker, New Port and Town & Country all parts were the same). I did however get the proportioning valve from Amazon.

Below is the list of the parts I got - Remember these are parts for '73 Spindles!

(2) Rotors - Raybestos 7018R
(2) Inner Wheel Bearings - Timkin Set17 Bearing Set
(2) Outer Wheel Bearings - Timkin Set16 Bearing Set
(2) Inner Rotor Seals - Timkin 5121
(1) RIGHT Caliper - Raybestos FRC4061 (should include inner/outer caliper bushings & guide pins)
(1) LEFT Caliper - Raybestos FRC4062 (should include inner/outer caliper bushings & guide pins)
(1) Caliper Bushing (outer) - Raybestos H5204 (should be included with caliper)
(1) Caliper Bushing (inner) - Raybestos H5219 (should be included with caliper)
(4) Caliper Guide Pins - Raybestos H5017W (should be included with caliper)
(2) Hydraulic Brake Hoses (w/copper washers) - Raybestos BH36756
(1) Brake Pads - Raybestos - PGD39M (Semi-metallic)
(1) Dual Circuit Master Cylinder - Raybestos MC36307
(1) Proportioning Valve - Allstar48025 (Amazon)

Total Parts Pricing excluding tax/shipping = $300 + price of '73 Spindles.

2015-06-06 13_opt.jpg

2015-06-06 13_opt.jpg

Last edited:
Back