Distributor stuck

Plymouth man

Reaction score
Could anyone give me some ideas how to get a distributor out of a slant six that the big part is broke off the smaller part and 1/4 inch of smaller part is sticking above block center shaft is still in smaller part and bigger part of distributor body

Sounds like the aluminum has seized to the block.

I think I would try heating and cooling a few times. The aluminum will expand a lot more than the cast iron, but a few cycles of heat might break it free, Then maybe some good penetrating fluid (not WD-40) with an over night soak.

Thanks I did that already with a small propane torch should I put the big torch on it or will it mess up the block

I would use a slide hammer with a hook or screw on it myself, or better yet a bearing puller

1705489338940.png

Last edited:
has a gear on the end if the shaft, so a slide hammer will not work with the shaft in. Man no idea without cracking the gear also.

Last edited:
I have to ask how did that break?
I put a crow bar on it after I heated it and pb blasted it and kept putting pressure on it and it broke I thought at first it came out because the top part would turn easy then but when I looked under it I seen were it broke off it left about a 1/4 inch of the shaft body sticking up with the shaft rod still in the middle attached to the top part of distributor

The gear is plastic (nylon) and will break but is easily replaceable. Picture of what you are working with would be helpful.
I will take pictures when temperature comes up because it was 1 degree this morning oh I don't care if the gear breaks I got a new distributor and can take oil pan off to get pcs out motor is out of car couldn't get to it in the car plus clutch needs changed

Honestly, if the old distributor is toast (and engine is out of the vehicle), I would just get a strap wrench or a pipe wrench and twist the housing back and forth until it breaks free and comes out. Make certain you get the distributor mount/adjusting plate from the old one as not all replacement distributors come with them.

I will take pictures when temperature comes up because it was 1 degree this morning oh I don't care if the gear breaks I got a new distributor and can take oil pan off to get pcs out motor is out of car couldn't get to it in the car plus clutch needs changed

So, with the motor out of the car, you're going to remove the oil pan, and drive it out from the bottom?

Back