DO NOT USE TRICO CLASSIC WIPER BLADES

Scoopy G

Reaction score
Gentlemen and ladies, I am writing to warn you NOT to use Trico Classic wiper blades on your classic C-Body. I bought a set on Amazon about a month ago, and have had occasion to use them once or twice since installing them. TODAY, during a light rain, one of the rubber blades folded over and a metal part of the body scratched the windshield of my '65 New Yorker.

I have contacted Trico via their website, and they say they are going to have a representative contact me within 48 hours. SO, does anyone know how to polish out a scratch on a windshield?

Rich

Gentlemen and ladies, I am writing to warn you NOT to use Trico Classic wiper blades on your classic C-Body. I bought a set on Amazon about a month ago, and have had occasion to use them once or twice since installing them. TODAY, during a light rain, one of the rubber blades folded over and a metal part of the body scratched the windshield of my '65 New Yorker.

I have contacted Trico via their website, and they say they are going to have a representative contact me within 48 hours. SO, does anyone know how to polish out a scratch on a windshield?

Rich
That really awful to hear. I did not install the set I have here after I found that the blade frame was painted and not stainless steel.

65245A7C-480F-4926-944C-3F4430DFDB10.jpeg

3EF71A72-EDA1-48C0-9D1A-A35A44533B61.jpeg

Thanks Justin, I'll try Eastwood. Hopefully I can get Trico to pay for it. I may remind them that I'm on the BMW 2002 forum, the Riviera forum, the MGB forum, the Triumph forum etc. etc...

I have contacted Trico via their website, and they say they are going to have a representative contact me within 48 hours. (...)

Rich
For Medina, my 1971 Monaco, I wanted original-look blades and paid MoparMall for the right pair -- see here for photos. One of them arrived crooked, but MM stepped up to the plate and sent me a correct replacement. I commend them on their customer service.

As for how they perform, well, they give the "period experience" -- yes, they remove water, but they don't work quite as well as modern wiper blades. I like that, as what I am going for with my C-bodies is the feel of the 1970s.

@Big_John had a cheaper suggestion in that thread, while @75LandYacht reported that he was very happy with the Trico set that he has been using on his C-body.

Last edited:
Try an "old school" toothpaste, like Colgate or Crest without any of that colored gel in it. Apply it on the scratch and work it in with a somewhat stiff small brush and wipe off with a towel. Toothpaste is actually a light polishing compound and is known to remove light scratches from glass. Good luck.

Thanks mrfury, I'll try it. Bethel Park, PA.....my wife's mother Shirley was born there. Shirley's Dad and brothers owned a huge piece of land there which eventually became a shopping mall in the 1960s I think. There's a street nearby, Graeser St., named for the family. Shirley just turned 89.

Hopefully Trico will step up and do the right thing. I remember watching a show, I believe it was My Classic Car, and they said to use 0000 steel wool with glass cleaner. Do your homework beforehand because this was about 15 years ago when I saw it but I've used this on chrome and it came out looking great.

Thanks AZ, I appreciate the input. I imagine Trico knows how to remove the scratch, and probably makes a product to do it!

I used the kit that Eastwood sells. It was not expensive, and it worked good. You just have to take your time and follow the instructions. The windshield on one of the cars I had was scratched by a wiper blade doing exactly what you described. It wasn't too bad, and it came out.

Thanks mrfury, I'll try it. Bethel Park, PA.....my wife's mother Shirley was born there. Shirley's Dad and brothers owned a huge piece of land there which eventually became a shopping mall in the 1960s I think. There's a street nearby, Graeser St., named for the family. Shirley just turned 89.
Small world isn't it. I live 2 blocks from Graeser Ave. The shopping mall would be South Hills Village Mall. It opened in 1965. Bethel Park isn't farms and coal mines anymore.

Wow that's some coincidence fury, I'll tell my MIL about this. My wife teaches ballet at Point Park every summer, and I go up to Columbus to work for a couple of months to escape the Tampa heat. I usually go over to P'burgh on July 4th weekend to hang out, we watch the fireworks from the Smithfield bridge. Don't tell me you know her cousin Tim Decker? Anyhow, next summer when I'm up there, I'll message you and maybe I can come over and check out the Fury. Cheers from Tampa, Richard.

Personally I would be more interested in the longevity of the blades. Arms break, that's nothing new.
I'm also going to play devil's advocate; if you don't want rust, don't buy a car. Chrysler cheaped out so, so badly when they built theirs. I'm still uncovering unpainted metal that was never sprayed from the factory.

Please clarify, for me, did the rubber insert fail or did the metal frame fail? I installed the rubber inserts from the Trico Classics in my OE frames and they look OK. Must admit, they have only been used once, for a very short time. I try to avoud rain too, but....... My reason for retaining the OE frames is that the Classics look crappy, and the OE's look correct and "classic"!!! Lindsay

Chinese junk is no longer a boat.
Reminds me of a Hardy Boys Mysteries title: The Mystery of the Chinese Junk. Man that title has new meanings nowadays!

Just what the internet needs, another DB.

I’ve been watching too many shows like CSI and Law & Order: to me, “DB” means “dead body.” :rolleyes:

UPDATE on the Trico Classic wiper failure.........

Here's the latest on the Trico Classic wiper failure on my '65 New Yorker...

*Trico's parent company has agreed to file a claim with their insurance company to fix my car.
*Parent company's insurer called me yesterday to get the claim started.
*Glass guys are telling me that the windshield for the Sedan isn't available.
*Local car guys here in Tampa have a guy that might be able to polish out the scratch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back