Do they still make 1964 Imperial Torsion bars?

64Imperial

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my torsion bars on my 64 and I haven't had much luck finding anything. Do they make new ones still? Or can they be custom made? I'm kinda at a loss

Usually, as I understand it, when torsion bars fail, they just break. Why do you suspect you need new ones?

Just curious,
CBODY67

Usually, as I understand it, when torsion bars fail, they just break. Why do you suspect you need new ones?

Just curious,
CBODY67
I don't feel like it's going to break soon, but it's definitely gotten soft to where bumbs sometimes sounds like a shotgun went off in the car! Lol

I'm kinda looking around just incase one does break!

The bar itself is not making any noise if it is still in one piece. The noise is something else. And the shocks definitely have an effect on the ability to take bumps.

You probably know all this.

The end sockets need to be in grease. Have they been out and the grease cleaned off?

Have you checked the rubber bumpers on the lower control arm to see if they might have deteriorated or are broken? Or the bumpers for the upper control arms? Plus what condition are the front shock absorbers in?

Usually, it appears that the bars do not "go soft", as if they did, the ride height of the front end would also drop similarly. As a torsion bar is adjusted "up", the ride rate of the spring also increases (becomes stiffer). Similarly if the adjustment is backed-off from a level ride height, just toward "soft" rather than "hard". What might "factory ride height" be? Usually, providing the rear springs have not sagged too, it means a level rocker panel with the flat road surface the car is parked upon.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Add to thought above.

when rear springs sag, many folks lower the front to keep the car level. But when the height is lowered so is the sprig rate so it’s soft in front and won’t take bumps as well.

Torsion bars require periodic adjustment. VERY VERY EASY TO DO! I'd attempt an adjustment before I'd be looking for new bars. I've had MANY of these cars and NEVER had to replace a torsion bar.

Before I got my '66 Coronet, it actually DID have a torsion bar break! There was a six-cylinder bar on one side and the proper big-block bar on the other (the difference is the diameter). Definitely a freak thing, but it is possible. That is the only instance I have first-hand knowledge of.

I knew exactly what you meant when you described it this way, it is an absolutely tremendous BANG, like a claw hammer against a steel workbench!

I don't feel like it's going to break soon, but it's definitely gotten soft to where bumbs sometimes sounds like a shotgun went off in the car!

Back