Dodge back in NASCAR ?

It was a crazy long night. It was DARK back in there. We had been driving for a while & we came up on a hobo looking dude walking right down the middle of the road very late at night. I'm thinking here we go just what I was worried about. As I reached for the pistol watching to see if he tried to flag us down to stop. He didn't. He moved over to let us pass. Releaved I put the pistol away. About an half hour later still aimlessly driving along clueless we came up on some cars & 2 motor homes stopped in the road. After 10 minutes or so I got out & walked up to see what was going on. No flashlight. I could see a few people standing up near one of the motor homes & walked up to them. As I did I could make out a damn helicopter sitting in the road & the engine was not running. I ask one of the guys standing there what's going on. He said I don't know. The chopper has been blocking the road since we pulled up half hour ago & they won't let anyone go up there. So I walk back to our SUV told the girlfriend about the chopper. About 20 minutes later the choppers engine started up & came to full power. I told the GF the darn thing must have broke down & did an emergency landing. Anyway after a few minutes it took off & we followed the motor homes hoping they knew a way back to the main road. When we finally got back to the room. Exhausted & hungry I told the GF we should have left the track when Jr's fans left. I got that dirty look & no kiss goodnight.

It was a crazy long night. It was DARK back in there. We had been driving for a while & we came up on a hobo looking dude walking right down the middle of the road very late at night. I'm thinking here we go just what I was worried about. As I reached for the pistol watching to see if he tried to flag us down to stop. He didn't. He moved over to let us pass. Releaved I put the pistol away. About an half hour later still aimlessly driving along clueless we came up on some cars & 2 motor homes stopped in the road. After 10 minutes or so I got out & walked up to see what was going on. No flashlight. I could see a few people standing up near one of the motor homes & walked up to them. As I did I could make out a damn helicopter sitting in the road & the engine was not running. I ask one of the guys standing there what's going on. He said I don't know. The chopper has been blocking the road since we pulled up half hour ago & they won't let anyone go up there. So I walk back to our SUV told the girlfriend about the chopper. About 20 minutes later the choppers engine started up & came to full power. I told the GF the darn thing must have broke down & did an emergency landing. Anyway after a few minutes it took off & we followed the motor homes hoping they knew a way back to the main road. When we finally got back to the room. Exhausted & hungry I told the GF we should have left the track when Jr's fans left. I got that dirty look & no kiss goodnight.
I know that look... the chopper thing is weird... The back road that we took would usually get us from Orlando to Daytona in about an hour and home in just a little more... It's been a few years and the road has built up enough to be "discovered", I don't know if I will go back... they tore down my chair.

For me they aren't racing Stock cars anymore. This stuff Is so far away from the showroom cars. And the drivers today are such winers.

well their are to few of us , have you seen the stand full ever for races we could do out of pocket . and thats what keeps tracks around for us nobucks racers , lol . of course guys like us started this sport for the thrill of victory or the broken junk getting towed back , lol . and 70bigblockdodge i'll make sure everyone knows , the more the better . speaking salt racers , this is the beast thats to be my flats racer nick named , '' fly 'n bet '' after a friend mom . racing two classes , engine classes that is , motors must be 59 or earlier , oem block n head stuff . so limits are 325 xo class , and 372 xxo . so i'm going desoto 291 hemi a proven design . and a 354 strok'd n bor'd to 371 . both blown . i still gathering . still need to get some od's units . using a jones champ quickchange , hemi 4 spd . but i need more gearing for these little ci motors to get to speed , 7500-8000 on either engine , got vintage salt tires from tommy groves the 62 melrose missle car when salt racing once , chucked a rim , thats was that . but these tires are mint . got 5 , only running them on the rear , funny car fronts . noise down salt plow , lol . going to make glass fenders and a 1/4''or thicker walled bed , fuel and cooling tanks and raditors in the bed , keep it hooked up . still building motors of course , getting closer on the chrysler , the desoto is tougher .

00060012.jpg

DSC08150.JPG

DSC08154.JPG

DSC08156.JPG

dug out a old cap , got it at daytona in 87 . did a few years of vending at swapmeets , selling old americans rims , gathered a few pins over the time . heres a pic of it in my office at my shop n its pic that made the paper here in sj ca .

DSC08483.JPG

DSC08484.JPG

DSC08505.JPG

DSC08506.JPG

DSC08508.JPG

DSC08510.JPG

DSC08485.JPG

found this pic in the bunch , in the back ground is a used up kb alloy hemi block with a chuckout n a crack in it through the cam webbing . think i got a piston from it still , would make a great glass topped corner table in a garage lounge .
DSC03653.JPG

its been tig welded on a block guy j roach down in santa barbara ca . told me that made it a problem block . he did only aluma mig on his repairs to keep the structural integrity of the casting , no hard spots , i've been using it for hand builds its very little and i don't need a cheery picker to move it around . did the block axle trans set up for phank'n'dodge with it , but its mount lug less . so still need them for builds . could weld some up on it . its still looking like a table , lol .

I think Serg is blowing smoke. They pretty much pulled out of NHRA and cant fund Ferarri in F1.
But it sure got people talking.
Investing in na$car at this point is a losing proposition. No attendance and no tv viewers. No bang for the buck. And itbtakes a minimum of 2 years to get on the track. Bodies and engines must be submitted and then proto cars run on the track and then the body tweaking starts. And if you think na$car will allow Dodge to actually challenge chebby, well, I got some swamp land for ya.

I think Serg is blowing smoke. They pretty much pulled out of NHRA and cant fund Ferarri in F1.
But it sure got people talking.
Investing in na$car at this point is a losing proposition. No attendance and no tv viewers. No bang for the buck. And itbtakes a minimum of 2 years to get on the track. Bodies and engines must be submitted and then proto cars run on the track and then the body tweaking starts. And if you think na$car will allow Dodge to actually challenge chebby, well, I got some swamp land for ya.
Hard to argue with that.

Yawn.

The last time I watched a NASCAR race was back in the late 70's. The good old boys were retiring that I remembered from the early 60's. Then the cars started to slowly look the same and eventually become divorced from stock cars to the point that this wasn't stock car racing anymore.
1970 Daytona Cale Hylton Isaac.png

"Sports Business Daily" reports that Na$car's new title sponsor has a two year contract and is paying 20mil/year. This is a fraction of what Sprint paid per year. TV is still on the hook for BIG $$$ to broadcast the country's fastest dying sport. Yep, they done killed it.
Also, a quick look at FCA's top and bottom line over the last 3 years makes it appear Ma is is no shape to go racin'.

P.S. The fact there is a publication called "Sports Business Daily" is probably a big part of what is wrong with the world today.

One of the reasons the stands appear to be fuller is largely because they have removed many of the seats at near all the tracks.

Back