Dodge back in NASCAR ?

C Body Bob

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
DAYTONA BEACH FLA. – Dodge is returning to NASCAR. Sergio Marchionne the CEO of FCA the parent company of Dodge confirmed the news Sunday.

Marchionne was at Daytona International Speedway as part of the Ferrari Challenge World Finals which wrapped up Sunday. FCA owns Ferrari and Marchionne is CEO of that famous brand.

Sunday when I asked him if he wanted to see Dodge back in NASCAR, he didn’t hesitate to answer.

“Yes I’d love to,” he said. “I talked to Jim France (executive vice-president of NASCAR) about this just last night.”

Dodge officially left NASCAR in 2012. The decision however came in 2009. Only Penske Racing was left campaigning Dodge and they moved to Ford in 2012.

“I’m the one that made the decision to pull Dodge out,” Marchionne said Sunday. “I am the guilty party at the table

“In 2009 we came out of bankruptcy,” he added. “We couldn’t (justify) racing in NASCAR when I was trying to pay bills and make payroll.”

The new company under which Dodge can now be found is Fiat-Chrysler America. The new company was established in 2014 and is now very successful.

“I think we’re in a different place now,” Marchionne said Sunday.

At Homestead prior to the final race of the season, NASCAR CEO Brian France confirmed that the sanctioning body was in discussions to bring in another manufacturer.

“But we’re not in a position to make that announcement,” France said at the time.

Whether those earlier comments by France are related to Sundays is a matter on speculation. However one fact is certain; the man who elected to withdraw Dodge from NASCAR, Sergio Marchionne, is now ready to get back in.

“We need to find the right way to come back in,” Marchionne said.

“I’ve agreed with both Jim and Lesa (France-Kennedy ISC CEO) to come back to the issue in short order,” he added.

I saw the article earlier. I would think the hardest part would be finding a deep pockets team that could be competitive. Gibbs, hendrick and childress are all but married to their manufacturers. Stewart Hass just signed with Ford, so not a lot of choices. Maybe Penske? doubt it though.

I saw the article earlier. I would think the hardest part would be finding a deep pockets team that could be competitive. Gibbs, hendrick and childress are all but married to their manufacturers. Stewart Hass just signed with Ford, so not a lot of choices. Maybe Penske? doubt it though.
Penske & RPM would work for me

RPM seems like a poor investment. I feel bad saying that, but they are third tier at best. Childress second tier, with limited talent and no signs of that changing.

its about f.....n time , toys furds n shevys are have there place , ya second back , lol . put the hemi on the track , and listen for the whiners . looks like new engines all around , if so . if the hemi shows up , then it will be a scramble . after all nascar must approve all parts to be run . this could work into a very interesting season . who knows maybe a 43 petty dodge out there .

The more I think on this & carefully read the statement I don't think it's going to happen this year. What ever team(s) would have to already have some cars built to test at Daytona in January. Maybe 2018 ? We'll see

NASCAR is in trouble no matter how you slice it they have ruled and generic it to death trying to promote the drivers but of course there are no drivers left they have all yes men themselves into having no personality. If they are going to control the character of the driver then they need to remove the competition have a predetermined winner and follow the WWE format and just provide drama entertainment. They are never going to let a Hemi in or a multi-valve overhead cam engine(coyote) in and F up their precious inline valve pushrod engine standard. So yeah put a Dodge sticker on a standard NASCAR body and race a engine the company stopped making way back when the Daimler raping was going on, Dodge in NASCAR yeah right.

Dave take a look at the R5P8 engine. The valves are canted much like the old 318 Pollys. I believe all of them are running some variation of a canted valve. Over the years they have gone from true Wedge to 18 degree in the 90's to the tall port heads & about 10 years ago NASCAR allowed the full semi-Hemi heads. The R5P8 is what Keselowski won the championship in in 2012. These heads only fit R5 blocks. EXPENSIVE. R3 blocks & X blocks take the W2 through 9 heads. 850 horse from 358 cubes @ 8K rpm & 500 pounds feet of torque at 6000 rpm.

IMG_5421.JPG
IMG_5420.JPG
IMG_5419.JPG
IMG_5418.JPG
IMG_5417.JPG
Here some pics of the NASCAR P8 head. See how the valves are moved. Looks like 18 degree which is Stock LA valve angle on a straight plane

domed canted valve pistons are lighter them typical domed hemi pistons , unless its the figger eight chambers in the hemi head . like nhra pro stockers run .

Back