Dodge back in NASCAR ?

From ALLPAR:

Mr. Marchionne was quoted as saying that he had personally chosen to pull out of NASCAR, because money was too tight at the time. NASCAR vice chair Jim France confirmed this, saying of Marchionne, “He is a very intelligent man.”

NASCAR’s top series has “stock car” races that run carefully monitored, nearly identical cars that have no parts in common with dealership stock, but have decal packages which make them appear similar. Dodge never left NASCAR’s Canadian series, dominating it in recent years; and when they did leave NASCAR racing in 2012, it was just after winning the championship.

If Dodge did come back to NASCAR, chances are it would not happen until the 2018 season. One observer wrote, “I would guess it would take until about 2020 to race at the top level. They would need to buy a charter (or two) from a current team just to get onto the track; the top level teams are already all spoken for. Maybe by 2020 a top level team might willing to switch. By then, a whole new type of body might be required and plenty of work would have to be done to the last Mopar Nascar motor to bring it back to the top level.”

sound like a new engine then . hemi headed flat crank rpm singing torque monster , i like the sound that would make .
Would be nice but not going to happen.
I understand Bob but NASCAR has missed the boat by at least 10 years now they are playing catch up. For my money I'll take a local dirt track any day over any venue they race at except Bristol, and maybe Martinsville
Make it sprint car or a late model on a less than 1/2 miler dirt track and you will never waste 3-4 hours watching a cup race on TV again.

Last edited:
i love the local tracks as well but there drying up here in the sfba , tv is not the way to see the nascar boys on the track , it not a cheap way either . but no pro sports are anymore . at least you don't have to buy the rights to be able to purchase a ticket for a seat like football . my friend at a shop just down the street , bought the rights to buy ticket for 49ers at levis statium at the sume of 47k . and no tickets or hotdogs n beer with that nether .

Big tracks are not a way to see racing either but those are what works on tv. Waiting over a minute for the field to come back at Long Pond after a caution is not fun either. I would like to see a race at Daytona or Talladega just to say I have been there. I would like to go to speed week at Bonneville some day I can't imagine you see much but the noise alone would be neat, flat out for such a long period.

I heard today that the 2012 engine isn't that Far off from the current package, and that they have many parts already to go left over from then as well. I also get the feeling that they have at least one team that is well positioned to make the leap. still would be 2018 I bet.
If NASCAR and FCA want it, it will go fast.

THIS is NASCAR>>>
petty.jpg
70 Superbird Petty Enterprise #43 & #40.jpg

i've done daytona in 87 , florida was a blast , just after turn four , 5 rows up . you feel it , and see the hurling machine traden paint . was something to see in person . and on the salt , got a few friends that do that miles wfo thing . i've got a salt project going myself . along with too many other irons in the fire .

could you imagine running stock cars of today . built like the older real stock modified cars . front driven cars against rear drives . would be a lot of different setups . and of course a bunch of those cars sitting for sale at the dealerships , 2500 cars min wasn't it back then , should be a lot more for todays standards . pullers n pusher on the track all racing each other , that would be wild .

I heard today that the 2012 engine isn't that Far off from the current package, and that they have many parts already to go left over from then as well. I also get the feeling that they have at least one team that is well positioned to make the leap. still would be 2018 I bet.
If NASCAR and FCA want it, it will go fast.
I'm hearing 2018 & RPM

I've been to both Daytona & Talledega. At Daytona 2008 we sat right as they came out of turn 2. That was a great seat. For a brief second the cars where comming straight at us. Literally a foot apart 20 rows deep. 195 plus. They sounded like a high speed freight train as they entered turn 1 & came around & roared by in a flash of color. We where surrounded by Jr fans. He crashed out about mid way & most of them left. Much more room to spread out. The crash was just a bit past us on the back stretch. I thought I saw a red car wrecking through the smoke. I was hoping it was him & not Kasey Kaine who was in a Red Dodge & also running up front. When the cars came by on the caution lap & Jrs car was now where to be seen. A lot of them where asking where's Jr? Did he wreck. I saw Kaseys car & it looked ok. So I knew Jr had crashed out. Then they replayed the wreck on the big screen. Showing Jr hard into the wall. You should have heard the moan from the crowd as they knew he was done. It took us 5 hours to get back to our hotel. We sat in the interstate for two & the female who was driving got impatient & decided to take a back road. She had never been to Flordia before in her life. We got lost & where deep in the swamp at 2am. Tourist shouldn't be in the swamp at 2 am. We finally came up on a bridge with traffic. I yelled that's a highway. I yelled get on that highway. I don't care which highway it is just get out of this swamp. For once she listened to me. Wasent the right highway, but at least we where out of Jurassic Park.

Last edited:
yes the top cars come roaring by with engine to spare , and the rest of the field in screaming to stay in that position . 87 daytona was one of the quickest as far as total time racing . elliot's t bird ran out of fuel on the last lap , the race ran with no yellows i believe .

I've been to both Daytona & Talledega. At Daytona 2008 we sat right as they came out of turn 2. That was a great seat. For a brief second the cars where comming straight at us. Literally a foot apart 20 rows deep. 195 plus. They sounded like a high speed freight train as they entered turn 1 & came around & roared by in a flash of color. We where surrounded by Jr fans. He crashed out about mid way & most of them left. Much more room to spread out. The crash was just a bit past us on the back stretch. I thought I saw a red car wrecking through the smoke. I was hoping it was him & not Kasey Kaine who was in a Red Dodge & also running up front. When the cars came by on the caution lap & Jrs car was now where to be seen. A lot of them where asking where's Jr? Did he wreck. I saw Kaseys car & it looked ok. So I knew Jr had crashed out. Then they replayed the wreck on the big screen. Showing Jr hard into the wall. You should have heard the moan from the crowd as they knew he was done. It took us 5 hours to get back to our hotel. We sat in the interstate for two & the female who was driving got impatient & decided to take a back road. She had never been to Flordia before in her life. We got lost & where deep in the swamp at 2am. Tourist shouldn't be in the swamp at 2 am. We finally came up on a bridge with traffic. I yelled that's a highway. I yelled get on that highway. I don't care which highway it is just get out of this swamp. For once she listened to me. Wasent the right highway, but at least we where out of Jurassic Park.
I might still go to the races in Daytona even though they seem to suck a little more with each car upgrade... But they started screwing around with my seats, I was over by you Bob, and when they pulled a switch without notice on me, I stopped buying. Now they have the whole thing dismantled... I liked the "cheap seats" to quote Jeff Gordon... I never found any on the front I liked as much.

BTW if you were stuck in a swamp, you were half way to Orlando... back roads are the only way to travel after the race and get you there 2-3 times as fast too. The interstates are literally parking lots.

Back