Does cable shift slip yoke 727 torqueflight exist?

weim55

Reaction score
For my ‘62 300: as I understand it this first year 727 has no park pawl, tail shaft parking brake and trunnion joint on the front of the driveshaft. Contemplating upgrading the transmission as well as the 8 3/4 axle to the later ‘65 design. Want to keep the push button selector on the dash with a slip yoke driveshaft. Plan to swap to later 8 3/4 w/e brake converted accordingly. Does the transmission I desire exists in a factory application?

Steve weim55 Colorado

Yes. 1965 only.
If you can't locate one locally, let me know. I have had one for years that I will never use but hate the thoughts of figuring out how to ship one.

However I'm not sure if the cable system is completely compatible. I'm thinking you have 5 pushbuttons and a park lever setup? I'm not sure however as I've never had one of those. It almost seems to me those had a 2 cable system but again I'm not sure.
As for a cable shift with slip yoke, 1965 is the only year.

Yes 62 no park, so no cable in the car for that. The other cable in the left front of the case is to shift the gears.

However I'm not sure if the cable system is completely compatible. I'm thinking you have 5 pushbuttons and a park lever setup? I'm not sure however as I've never had one of those. It almost seems to me those had a 2 cable system but again I'm not sure.
As for a cable shift with slip yoke, 1965 is the only year.
I do know where there is a 65 fury parts car with a big block and typical column shift. Would this car have a cable shift set up? Does it use two cables: One for the quadrant and one for engaging park? Is that the set up yours is gyknot? Thanks for the reply,

Steve weim55 Colorado

Yes
yes
yes

they'll have 2 cables, park cable goes in the bottom front of the tail housing. Just behind the pan

I'll go with what "413" said. It's been so long since I've even seen that thing I don't remember. Rather embarrassing actually.

My 64 was converted to a slip yoke, the trunnion flange was replaced with a bolt on u joint flange. The drive shaft was then made with a slip joint in it. A good driveline shop should be able to do it. I can get some pics if wanted.

For my ‘62 300: as I understand it this first year 727 has no park pawl, tail shaft parking brake and trunnion joint on the front of the driveshaft. Contemplating upgrading the transmission as well as the 8 3/4 axle to the later ‘65 design. Want to keep the push button selector on the dash with a slip yoke driveshaft. Plan to swap to later 8 3/4 w/e brake converted accordingly. Does the transmission I desire exists in a factory application?

Steve weim55 Colorado
I've tried that swap on a 61 and the problem is the ratio on the E brake pedal for a drum brake on a trans is different from the ratio on a E brake diff. That makes it difficult to push the pedal hard enough to hold the car. It will not hold the car on an incline. You would need to mount a lever or a late style pedal to properly operate the E brake. It turned out to be a real PITA. I have had a drive shaft shop make a slip yoke drive shaft that bolts to your flange. That works good.

@pioneer
That is an excellent contribution, 99% of us wouldn't have though of that.
It makes sense, though - the trans-mounted brake gets the benefit of the differential gears reducing the torque if the rear wheels start to rotate.
Obviously there are other factors (1 brake vs 2, the contact area of the brakes, etc) but you confirmed it's a difference.

I do not know if the Fury column is similar but, attached is a photo of my 65 Coronet column for reference.
Mike
IMG_1952.JPG

That’s some great information on the subject, thank you all for your input this will be a great guide when I dive into this!

Steve weim55 Colorado

Back