Door latch rod cloth covers

HWYCRZR

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
(68 Polara). Getting to the bottom of my box of parts to detail. And found my door release rods which are covered in cloth to keep them from rattling or maybe even from scratching the windows. After 50 years the cloth is a little tattered and brittle. A google search didn’t turn up much except Mustangs used similar. Some of the suggestions were to use wire loom material. But I would really like to find something closer to the nice heavy cotton tube on the original. Nobody will see it, but I will know what is behind there. Any other type covering come to mind that could replicate the original? Thanks

image.jpg

Rhode Island Wiring Service Inc.

Go to their "conduit" section and they have some wire loom that should work nicely. I used some on the '53 Windsor and it's really close to the same stuff except it's black.

Thanks. I did have them in mind if nothing else turned up. I actually have some of the white braided thermo tubing from them but not as thick. I was also thinking since they have a re- looming machine they could make some some thicker white covers.
Your suggestion of the black stuff would probably be just fine. I need to quit being so anal on some of those things I will never see again. But I always go back to if someone re- does this 50 years from now how will they know how it was originally.

Actually, I think I've seen them black in at least one of my cars, so I don't think you would be that far off.

They probably about used what ever depending on the supplier and manufacturing location. What is unique though is the left is unique from the right. One has stripes woven in while the other is plain white. Most likely to keep the right and left rods from getting mixed up at the factory. The rods are a mirror image of each other.

Back