DOOR LOCK KNOB - metal insert for threading

darth_linux

Reaction score
My '66 Newport came with new lock knobs to replace the crusty originals but the originals have a metal insert that allows them to thread onto the lock rod, and the new ones do not. I attempted to delicately remove said insert by prying, turning, twisting, etc., all to no avail. The new ones don't have any threads so they aren't going to work without that insert.

Anyone have a suggestion?
thank you!

The plastic should self tap as you are screwing them on. Warm them up a bit and then screw them on. Or if you have a tap and die set tap in the threads.
If the hole in the replacement knob is too large then that’s a different issue and likely related to the wrong part.

The plastic should self tap as you are screwing them on. Warm them up a bit and then screw them on. Or if you have a tap and die set tap in the threads.
If the hole in the replacement knob is too large then that’s a different issue and likely related to the wrong part.
thank you, that's a great idea!

My '66 Newport came with new lock knobs to replace the crusty originals but the originals have a metal insert that allows them to thread onto the lock rod, and the new ones do not. I attempted to delicately remove said insert by prying, turning, twisting, etc., all to no avail. The new ones don't have any threads so they aren't going to work without that insert.

Anyone have a suggestion?
thank you!
I got mine for my 69 300 at napa and the plastic makes threads as its screwed on. They also came with new chrome guides that fit the door panel. I think about $12

Back