Double white line radials??

PPRCuda

Reaction score
Hello all, from where I can find these double white line tires as radials? I guess original size is close to 235/75-15"?

imperialbroc.jpg

Another option might be these guys.
TIRE STICKERS | Tire lettering for tire sidewalls worldwide

They make stickers which they claim are permanent, and they'll make custom ones however you want. I plan to eventually buy a set to put on the tires on one of my Chryslers which is currently wearing blackwalls.

These are kinda like a modern version of "porta-wall" whitewall inserts. I actually googled this and discovered that porta-walls are still sold too!

PORTAWALLSHOP, WHITEWALL, CLASSIC TIRE INSERTS FREE SHIPPING ;side wall,  port-a-wall, port-o-wall, tire insert, whitewall, tyre insert, tire line, tire trim

In general, the "stickers" would need a flat surface to go on. Many tires now seem to have some molded-in graphics on the sidewall areas which used to be flat/curved. Just have to look and see.

The J78x15 size replaced the earlier 8.85x15 size, which is a section width of 225mm. P235/75R-15 equates to a section width of 9.15x15, which were on Lincolns and such. If the speedometer is calibrated for J78-15 tires, using the P235/75x15 size might need a new speedometer driven gear in the trans tailshaft housing for best accuracy. Or knowing that the speedometer speed would be __% slow for actual road speed. Details.

The multi-stripe/colored whitewalls of that era were for luxury differentiation. Some people got very intense about those things, back then. A little bit additional distinction to the cars they were on. Rather than the more mundane "single stripe" .75" (generally) width whitewalls on "common cars".

I have heard many good things about the Diamondback tires. I think they are currently using Toyo-brand tires? Read their warranty, for general principles.

Buying any repro tire is going to be more expensive, no matter what.

CBODY67

There is a thread/section for this on the Imperial Club website. Here is the obligatory link: Three-Ribbon Tire Information and Their Use on the (Chrysler) Imperial

Starting in '66, Imperials came with whitewalls of a three stripe variety that seemed to change from year to year. The three stripes however, were NOT the same and in true Chrysler fashion, changed from year to year. (i.e., wide-narrow-wide, narrow-wide-narrow, etc.). Not sure if these were used on other C-bodies, but maybe some others on the list will know.

I know Diamond-Back classics also offered these tires, but I haven't checked their web-site for a while. They weren't bargains as I recall.....

In general, the "stickers" would need a flat surface to go on. Many tires now seem to have some molded-in graphics on the sidewall areas which used to be flat/curved. Just have to look and see.
CBODY67

While they obviously would not work well on some tires, look at the photo gallery here for some close-ups of how they are glued right over the existing sidewall texture, lettering and graphics.
Top and Bottom Text On Tire - Full Kit of Tire Lettering

(The link is not to their whitewall kits in particular, but had some very good close-up pictures.)

According to the FAQ section:

Our Permanent Raised Rubber Letter kits are designed for daily drivers and long term durability. These decals are meant to last the lifetime of the tire and are completely cleanable!

Our product will adhere regardless of the sidewall surface including over raised, embossed and ribbed variations. ... the Permanent Raised Rubber Kit will overlay the surface.

The most important step is the tire preparation. You may think the tire is clean but oil and dirt are difficult to remove, even new tires have to be thoroughly cleaned! Proper cleaning will ensure a successful bond.

Customers with raised lettering or 'ribs' on the tires also may face challenges. These areas require using a credit card or similar object to apply pressure in areas that are too narrow for your finger pressure. Without a contact surface, the decal cannot bond!

I have Diamondback Radials on my 1966 Fleetwood Brougham ( sorry guys, I really am a Chrysler man at heart but I couldn't pass this car up). They are Toyo tires and have performed great! I have the factory triple stripe ( style "C" in the book) and it really makes the car stand out. Would highly recommend!!

I have Diamondback Radials on my 1966 Fleetwood Brougham ( sorry guys, I really am a Chrysler man at heart but I couldn't pass this car up). They are Toyo tires and have performed great! I have the factory triple stripe ( style "C" in the book) and it really makes the car stand out. Would highly recommend!!
Would love to see it.

Good information here...I'll have to look into D-backs. I currently have American classic radials on mine with about 1.5" WW. These look and handle excellent, however the white rubber is very "sensitive" and starts cracking after about a year, even if I'm religious about protecting them with just 303 and using no harsh cleaning chemicals. I've had to have warranty replacements on two tires already within and it's getting to be a pain. Warranties are pro-rated over 5 years and I end up buying a extra one for the other side so they're even. Then it costs time and money to have them changed. I'm not sure if American Classic is related to Coker or not, not much info out there on the company.

Nice! I hope that is a historical viewing spare and not one that you would actually put on your Imp. An exploding tire blow out is a scary thing in a C/D Body.
I actually have used it once and it performed great! Along with the bumper jack.

Back