Dr. Frankenmorris and His Dead C Bodies

Beer time helps motivate folks, IFF its GOOD beer. WHERE was that excellent old hoist listed? CL is great, but varies city to city, and points between.
Ummm let me see if I saved the actual AD, It was one of them cagey AD's with the phone number in the picture I know I have still several bookmarks in the CL expired folder I maybe able to get the general location. BRB

Ummm let me see if I saved the actual AD, It was one of them cagey AD's with the phone number in the picture I know I have still several bookmarks in the CL expired folder I maybe able to get the general location. BRB

Don't worry about it. If this excellent old tool isn't close by, I can't get it. I got my 20 ton press from a 90 yr old cowboy on CL last summer. Old coot still could lift that **** too, when it was time to load it!

Don't worry about it. If this excellent old tool isn't close by, I can't get it. I got my 20 ton press from a 90 yr old cowboy on CL last summer. Old coot still could lift that **** too, when it was time to load it!
No that would be a item to drive a distance for (and pick up more along the way) if you have the time and energy just to be able to point to the Mopar tag and show it off in your shop. But I'll bet from the looks of it your going to have to re-seal the jack but not hard to do and if your close enough to a populated industrial city you'll be able to get a re-seal kit or the individual 'O' rings & seals. Bragging rights don't come easy or cheap these days.

Anyways I had a look see, not in the deleted folder, not in the expired, but there it is in the Post.Not.Found folder which means it could of sold as I was seeing it for many months then poof it was gone.
But Colombo sez title of AD was Heavy Duty Engine Hoist - $400 (Castle Rock), ?? Colorado? nope post not found link leads back to minneapolis.craigslist.org. I do have the picture of the guys phone number and this was one item of many Mopar parts in AD so you know how it goes, junk still may be around. Date time when I got around to saving the AD pics was just July of 2021.

Aaaanyway, I got the engine nicely Down and Out of Mathilda's compartment, without removing the core support, or butchering the grill with a sawzall, as my Daddy-in-law recommended. (RUSSIANS!)

I'll scoot it over a bit more, then extract Gertrude's seemingly accursed motor, and drop Mathilda's seemingly blessed one IN.
Tilly-eng-on-cinderblox.jpg

The blocks seem to hold the motor up nice and steady when supporting the bottom of the skirt, along the oil pan bolts. I don't plan to dance on it.

Tilly-eng-on-cinderblox-driverside.jpg

I can remove the hoist legs now, and then pull the motor forward, and out of the way of either body, then pull Trudy's boat-anchor, for disassembly, LATER.

Fans! Stay Tuned! Dr. Frankenmorris measured the tailpiece, mounts et al for his 1966 A727 and it WILL FIT PERFECTLY on his odd 1968 EXPORT Newport convertible! One of our Most Eminent Sages advised me that this might not be the case, but I carefully checked, measured and clicked a pic, and I CAN use the nice, rebuilt, well sealed tranny from Mathilda in this 68 body! This pleases us here to no end, given that the transmission we got with this car, while still functional, does leak more, and shifts rough. Nothing TOO bad, but hey, why take more chances?

Gotta set up to extract that drivetrain now. Will post pix ASAP, though that may still be awhile....

Be careful with the concrete blocks, they can break and dump the whole thing on the ground. I know you stated you won't be dancing on it, but be careful and keep the young ones away from it.

Hey Gerald the brain gears were a whirring the other day and came to the conclusion that all that crude you removed from the block was probably all of the 5 gallons of stop leak that someone poured into over the eon's it to cure the problem. You could do as the Nitro Drag Boys do, fill the block with some kind of See'ment, I hear that strengthens the block and should cure you leak, but then you'd only be able to do your errands a 1/4 mile at the time, so not the best idea for a DD.

:rofl:

Oh yea WASH THAT MOTOR!
also>>>> wood blocks.

All trans mount bolt holes to bell housing flange are the same on passcars transmissions. Slant six, small block, big block, 904, 727, A833, does not matter. The mounts and cross members are car line specific.

Sunday, 11-28-2021: Extracted Gertrude's bad motor over course of this weekend, and prepped Mathilda's OLD RELIABLE engine a bit for insertion. Still a bit more to do by way of PREPARATION, as I'm using this opportunity to replace ALL the expansion plugs still needing replacement in the heads and cylinder block. This comes to 5 of the 6 block plugs and all 4 of the plugs in the 516 heads. Aside from this, I'll once again root out whatever debris can be dug from the cooling jacket, just on principle, and I'll clean up the exterior of the old engine also.

Trudy-bad-motor-on-core-support.jpg
After proper preparation, I got the motor over the core support without too much difficulty, though I DID bend the top of it a little bit . I can undo this damage easily enough. For future such jobs I might remove the thing, or not, depending on other factors. Glad it went as well as it did actually.

Trudy-bad-motor-on-ground.jpg

This will find its way to my engine stand in due course, and a machine shop, if I see fit to.

Dec 05, 2021 A.D.: GERTRUDE LIVES!!!! SHE LIVES!!! The transplant succeeded as well as I hoped for. I hoped it would run with the same strength it had in Mathilda, and thus far today, it seems to be so.

Let's renew the thread with where I left off: with Gertrude freshly relieved of her dead weight motor. Having extracted Mathilda's engine earlier, I made good on the promise to myself to replace all the expansion plugs with brass ones if I ever got that engine out of its compartment:
ALL-freezer-plugs0passenger-side-overview.jpg

See the bottle of Indianhead shellac on the cinderblock? This ONE BOTTLE has provided enough shellac to seal over 5 years worth of "freeze plugs" and coolant pump gaskets. thermostat housing gaskets and a few odd jobs. The ONE copper plug I left in this block behind the rubber biscuit bracket showed NO corrosion, so I just coated the whole plug with another layer of shellac, making sure it bonded onto the iron block surfaces around it. I expect it will outlast the iron in the block, if left in a state of Nature,so that several billion years from now, some archeologist might find the plug with some ferric oxide clinging to it, and ponder its use.

All the brass is U.S.A. made too, from Melling and 440source.com. One can savor the view of the very same brass from the next pic, taken as I began the descent of the engine and transmission into the compartment. Here let me repent of my earlier disparaging comments about the
dropping-motor-into-Gertrude-beginning.jpg

Torin leveler I purchased a few years ago against days such as I've suffered through the past few weeks. This device proved IMMENSELY USEFUL and saved me HOURS of toil! Be this as 'twas, I still plan to make new L brackets for it from good 3 inch angle iron....
cleared-core-support-w-ease.jpg

Here I cleared the core support with room to spare! My secret? 1.) I cinched up the leveler chains be 3 links, eliminating the play in those, and increasing the motor altitude and 2.) I had the car ON THE GROUND, permitting it to roll when needful, and 3.) I used a couple sheets of 3/4" OSB I had got from a now departed neighbor. I refrained from using this at first from fear of the hoist wheels destroying the stuff, as indeed happened when handling a 400 with TF 727 attached 4 yrs ago. BUT, the caliche beneath the OSB was DRY for this exercise, assuring a firm bed which supported the glued woodchip board well enough to allow it to roll with little damage.

cleared-Xmember+tranny=mount-w-ease.jpg

I even cleared the transmission mount in the crossmember with as much room as the tunnel would allow! Unfortunately, I jacked the tailpiece enthusiastically, lifting the main crankshaft bolt into the core support I cleared so nicely! GRRRR! So I'll have to use some oak boards
and C clamps to straighten up the top a bit. Oh WELL!

DOWN-ON-THE-MOUNTS.jpg

Despite that little accident, I got it dropped right onto the mounting pads on the K frame AND the crossmember mount too! Absurdly EASY, All Things Considered....

Of course, I didn't accomplish this solo, but had EXPERT Assistance....
dADDYS-LITTLEST-HELPER-WRENCH.jpg

Little Engineers take their tasks SERIOUSLY! But there's room for Levity also:
dADDYS-LITTLEST-HELPER6-W-SCREWDRIVER.jpg

She's doing well with her Pre-School Differential Equations and Quantum Mechanics courses too, though she doesn't deign to SPEAK to lesser folk than her Dear Old Daddy! Dr. Asperger's children can tell Who's Who right away!

More later. I'm DEAD tired.... Good Night.

THANK you Don! Got an ugly surprise this evening though: the damned harmonic balancer is coming loose! I have 2 others here of similar vintage, likely 2-3 years newer, but no more. Removing THEM is EASY, but now I have to take my damned radiator and fan loose, AGAIN, to replace the damned thing. I'm still trying to recuperate from the ordeal of the past few weeks swapping the motor in.

The Torture Never Stops! Wish me well for tomorrow.

harmonic balancer is coming loose! Removing THEM is EASY, but now I have to take my damned radiator and fan loose, AGAIN, to replace the damned thing
Gotta inspect things before you install them! :poke:

Been there, done that. Sounds like me five years ago, I had the front torn down two winters in a row. I swapped cams the first year, then swapped an engine the next. I had the grille and bumper off, made it easy to get to everything.

Gotta inspect things before you install them! :poke:

Been there, done that. Sounds like me five years ago, I had the front torn down two winters in a row. I swapped cams the first year, then swapped an engine the next. I had the grille and bumper off, made it easy to get to everything.

Yes, "Hindsight is 20-20" and all that. If I had a SECOND DRIVABLE VEHICLE, then I wouldn't be under the constant pressure to "hurry-the-****-up" which oft leads to HURRYING THE FUCKUP! I did LOOK at the damned balancer, as I had the pulley off and really wanted to replace it with the more modern 1968 pulley, but NOOO! the bolt pattern is a fraction of an inch OFF from the later balancers, so I mistakenly bolted the old **** back to the old ****. It worked Sunday and through most of today, sans wobble, but when adjusting the idle an hr or so ago, THERE IT WAS!!!

At least I have 2 more 383 balancers ON HAND to try. Both are numbered 2658457, one from the defunct motor just replaced, the other from a Commando shortblock I have had for too long without working on. I think the Commando is a '69, but will have to look when I have time for such. I LIKE the pistons in that one, and the dual spring valves in the 906 heads...... SIGH!

So, tomorrow I again torture my arthritic hands with that damned Hayden 2947 clutch, though I LIKE how it spins the fan I copped for the job from the junk yard up the street! More narcotics, again, dope to cope, and dope for Hope!

This is a relatively EASY job, but damned annoying. I reckon I should be grateful that it didn't turn to **** while out on the road away from the crib.

Good work Mr. Morris and your assistant is as cute as a button!:thumbsup:

THANK you Don! I'm still trying to recuperate from the ordeal of the past few weeks swapping the motor in.

The Torture Never Stops! Wish me well for tomorrow.
I feel for you - I'm doing a brake job now on my wagon and it is two busy days and two recovery days plus trying to keep the tylenol from frying my liver...

View attachment 501175 View attachment 501176 View attachment 501177 View attachment 501175 View attachment 501176 I had no problem with mine greased the leveling bolt, smooth as silk.I also removed the grill and radiator support, WAY easier.

Yes, I greased the leveling screw also. They won't budge without it. Both extraction and insertion went pretty easy on Gertrude. I'll try dropping the core support next time I do one of these jobs, and see if the extra effort up front is worth it. Witgh the OSB under the hoist and car, it REALLY went quite easy. I don't envy your environment up back east. Uh UH!

Yes, I greased the leveling screw also. They won't budge without it. Both extraction and insertion went pretty easy on Gertrude. I'll try dropping the core support next time I do one of these jobs, and see if the extra effort up front is worth it. Witgh the OSB under the hoist and car, it REALLY went quite easy. I don't envy your environment up back east. Uh UH!
Yes the 3/4 plywood it's a little rough I'm pouring a 24×24 slab next year for my other projects.

I feel for you - I'm doing a brake job now on my wagon and it is two busy days and two recovery days plus trying to keep the tylenol from frying my liver...

Cop some dope without the damned acetaminophen bro. THAT **** does the Devil's work on your liver, bigtime! I had hepatitis C for decades, (thank God THAT didn't do me in!) and used to raise 40 kinds of Hell if the whitecoats tried pushing tylenol in ANY form on me! I would recommend heroin, IFF one could get something unadulterated, but thanks to the DEA, Mexican dope gangs AND Chinese tongs, they now sell dogshit with fentanyl for dope, and fools buy and die.

Morphine can be had without too much hassle, and probably would be a safe enough alternative. Of course, ALL the dope comes with the Monkey, but the kidney stones decided me in favor of carrying King Kong long ago.

Good old willow bark extract does for me often! God bless the soul of Joseph Bayer, who showed Man how to react vinegar with 2 great NATURAL analgesics, salicylic acid and morphine, which he marketed as aspirin and heroin. Stuff made by God doesn't poison folks the way man made, corporate controlled crap does. I take methadone for economic reasons, but would rather grow poppy for my needs.

Back