Drag racing returns to Fumbuck County

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Drag racing in Sebring

AR-160339991.jpg

Special to Highlands today
March 30, 2016 at 07:44 AM

Sebring International Raceway’s legendary concrete front straight will come to life on select Thursday nights this year with street drag racing. After a successful test run in February, Sebring International Raceway will host a series of runs on the one-eighth mile front straight beginning April 7.

The 2016 Sebring Drag Racing schedule includes seven dates through June 23, followed by a summer break. Drag racing resumes on Sept. 29 and concludes on Dec. 8.

All drag racing will take place on Thursday evening with the exception of a Tuesday program on Nov. 22nd. Gates will open at 5 p.m. and drivers can make all the runs they can fit into a four-hour window ending at 10 p.m.

Spring dates will be April 7, April 14, April 28, May 12, May 26, June 9 and June 23. In the fall, racing dates are Sept. 29, Oct. 13, Oct. 27, Nov. 10, Nov. 22 and Dec. 8.

Admission will be $20 for drivers and $5 for spectators. Drivers must be at least 18 years of age with a valid driver’s license. Cars must be street legal with street legal tires, free of any leaks, equipped with proper seat belts and free of any unsecured items inside the vehicle.

“Sebring’s front straight is an ideal venue for drag racing,” said Sebring Raceway President and General Manager Wayne Estes. “Our Thursday drag racing program will offer enthusiasts an opportunity to compete in a controlled environment with maximum on track time.”

Sebring has held drag races in the past, including the PBOC Motorsports Club drag racing night at Sebring International Raceway in January, 2012.

Many drag racing legends have also spent time at Sebring in the past, including “Big Daddy” Don Garlits.

“I’ve always liked this area and have a lot of memories from the Sebring track,” Garlits said in a 2012 interview. “I did a road test on a Viper there when they first came out.”

AFAIAC...
No!
You cant have a race in only an ⅛ of a mile.
I assume it is giving the track some revenue other than SCCA and historical racing except for March. Are you close enough to hear the track? I had understood they had a noise abatement issue since the developments started getting closer a decade or so ago. Heck, even Daytona folks hate the track and motorcycles... and lots of those idiots don't realize how much that supports their community. I doubt Sebring gets too much out of the track events... but I bet the food and beverage businesses on 27 would feel the difference.

We had a race venue that only made it a few years before noise abatement shut it down... I never made it there, it started with drifting and a little road course and then 1/8th mile drags... It was really getting popular with the young people before getting killed off, I was supposed to go for their drag event that got cancelled last minute by the county. I think the drag racing only lasted about a year before it was stopped, the drifting stuff went a little longer... but without the expansion opportunities the financial backing pulled out. I think it had a real shot at lessening some of the organized street racing... apparently there is still enough of that going on for us to have a young one lose his license from time to time.

The track is at the Sebring track where the 12 Hrs LeMans style racing is held.
There used to be a ¼ track there but it closed back in the 80's when some corporation bought the raceway. Noise is not an issue. An industrial park has developed around it and it's surrounded by groves and grazing land. Plus it's still an airport.
There are race teams renting the track most weekends and all the car manufacturers use the track for testing and development during the week. There's always million dollar rigs from Posche, Pugeot, etc, going up and down US27. Never a dull moment. I had my Vette out there cupla times.

The track is at the Sebring track where the 12 Hrs LeMans style racing is held.
There used to be a ¼ track there but it closed back in the 80's when some corporation bought the raceway. Noise is not an issue. An industrial park has developed around it and it's surrounded by groves and grazing land. Plus it's still an airport.
There are race teams renting the track most weekends and all the car manufacturers use the track for testing and development during the week. There's always million dollar rigs from Posche, Pugeot, etc, going up and down US27. Never a dull moment. I had my Vette out there cupla times.
NYB just wouldn't be the same in the hairpin...
I was going off an old rumor, thinks for straightening me out.

Back