Drip rail sealing/paint order?

swisherred

Reaction score
I just removed all of the old cracked drip rail sealer and am trying to prep the roof for paint. What order should this go in for the longest lasting seal?

epoxy primer, paint, clear, sealer?

sealer, epoxy primer, paint, clear?

epoxy primer, sealer, paint, clear?

best sealer to use?

The '66 FSM details how to re-apply that sealer, which is sprayed-on. I believe there was a product mentioned that was "approved"?

In more recent times, it could well be that the normal "panel seam sealer" (i.e., 3M or similar) might work just as well. Even when new, some of it had some shrinkage prior to paint application, from the way it looked along the edges.

Might check for refinish compatibility with the sealer mfg. Please keep us posted with pics.

Thanks,
CBODY67

What about the chrome trim along the drip rail? Removal and how it looked after removal?

CBODY67

Most often the correct order is epoxy, seam sealer, paint. I guess that it's possible that some of the newer two part sealers can be applied directly to metal.

Jeff

What about the chrome trim along the drip rail? Removal and how it looked after removal?

CBODY67
The drip rail trim came off with no trouble. Its in good shape, but will be polished along with all the other stainless. I removed the rest of it today....fixing some nicks and dings, then sanding and polishing it. The metal underneath the trim was in good shape..nothing more than surface rust. It retained a large portion of the sealer and had to hammer it out with a flat tip and hammer, but it had significant cracking and some had gone away altogether. Its completely cleaned out and ready to move forward. I think I will epoxy prime everything after I do the body work, the seal it, the paint it. After doing some more research I found that most body sealers are designed to go over epoxy primer.

Back