Drivers side wiper arm repair on 78 NYB

73 T&C

Senior Member
FCBO Gold Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2013
Messages
2,208
Reaction score
3,462
Location
Coral Gables, Florida
This is one of those “meaning to do” sniglet items for my 78 NYB that I finally got around to doing.

Readers of my main thread will remember my repair of the wiper system early on. But one thing that I’ve been meaning to do was a more permanent repair to the drivers side wiper arm.

The small plate that holds the angle control arm end to the stud also acts to retain the lock plate that keeps the arm on the stud. Both are held in place on the underside to the wiper arm mounting bracket by the pressed on (deformed) heads of two studs cast into the mounting bracket.

Up to now, I’ve just been carefully putting it back together and beating down what was left of the studs to get a lip on them to hold it all together. It worked but not reliable as they would eventually work themselves loose and shear whatever remaining stud material I was able to pound in to retain it together.

Of course this happened only when it’s raining….sending the wiper into a weird dance on my windshield.

Here’s my solution….

F80D1754-4111-4F20-9366-294100B0278E.jpeg

First clean with stiff wire brush and file what’s left of the studs as flat as you can make them. Take them down no further than the face of the retaining plate. You’ll need that depth to help position the plate with the screws to follow.
74680748-67E3-43DB-8665-522EDBCAEB34.jpeg

This is the lock plate (shown upside down and backward) just checking placement, depth, flatness and ease of function. Took a bit of careful pounding to get it straight and smooth.


00AC46AB-CDF6-4E8E-B758-34C4989EFF74.jpeg

This is the retainer plate that holds the angle control arm end to the adjacent stud. (again the lock plate is on upside down and backward… sorry) here also I’ve taken a center punch to the remaining studs prior to drilling two holes for some screws.
B1C954AA-925B-4DCA-A1EF-EF394053646A.jpeg

As you can see I used some carburetor throttle plate screws as they were a perfect fit and of a similar use with narrow shaft and wide heads.

You’ll also note the now correct placement of the locking plate.

I did not tap the holes preferring to let the screws cut their own threads into the soft metal of the mounting bracket casting. I slightly undersized the holes and applied smooth even hand pressure as I drove the screws in.

I think this should hold it for a while.

F1EBCB0A-A03D-4FF3-86E7-60BCA4C873C0.jpeg

Oops. First hole went a little too far… nobody’s perfect.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top