Dual Exhaust Systems on 1972 and 1973 Chrysler models with 440 engines Question

My dual exhaust installed without any mods or drilling to the Imperial, it went very easy with lots of room.
Here is a link to my install and a few photos of a 69 300 a 72 NYer and a 73 Imperial.

1969-chrysler-300-coupe 2.jpeg

1969-chrysler-300-coupe 3.jpeg

1969-chrysler-300-coupe.jpeg

20211108_160704 2.jpg

20211108_160729 2.jpg

20211108_160737 2.jpg

IMG_0877.JPG

IMG_0884.JPG

IMG_0885.JPG

IMG_1446.JPG

Now I am wondering what HP exhaust manifolds were installed on the 1972-3 models? Would they be the same as the 70 - 71s? That would seem unlikely to me but maybe my 72 parts book will help?

What I need from Waldrons is a dual exhaust set up for my 1970 - 71 Chrysler 300s with the 440 HP engines, which they say they do not supply for those models. I have John at Waldrons checking on this further as the catalog says they don't have the patterns for them. I may end up sending them my front pipes that attach to the HP manifolds and well as the intermediate pipes from one of my cars with the original system if necessary and they are willing to rely on them since they are definitely the original ones.

Just as an aside, John there said they have exhaust systems with mufflers that are "factory quiet", "mild imposter" and "imposter" made by a muffler company in Canada that supplies mostly Waldron as their major customer and may not serve the public. John said the company was affiliated with Waldrons and he didn't want to disclose their name to me and I told him that was fine as long as I could get what I want from Waldrons when I need the factory quiet ones (with the same dimensions too). The "factory quiet" systems also require their most thick exhaust pipes as well. So those are probably the highest priced systems (opting for stainless would add to the full price too).
I followed up with John at Waldrons today and he told me he had not had a chance to look into this further this last week because they are very busy and short staffed since Ruth there is out with a medical issue to deal with. In discussing this with him a bit further today, he said that they were not sure whether the patterns they have will work for the exhaust pipes in terms of how well they mate up with the HP exhaust manifolds. While the 69 HP manifolds are unique to those 440HP engines in C bodies, the 70-71 exhaust manifolds are the same with the same exhaust outlets. John said he would send me photos of the exhaust pipes this week and I told him I could look at them and let him know if they are correct or not. If I can't be absolutely certain from what I am seeing, I told John I would send him some original front exhaust pipes from my triple black 19K original miles 1971 300 with the 440HP that he could definitely copy with assurance they are correct. They are already out of the car as it gets ready for the body shop and paint coming up in a couple months now. So that is the current plan to get around this problem.

Last edited:
waldron's has sent me a dual exhaust set up for a 74, i plan to try to fit it to my 78 Salon.
this is a test run for waldron's and me, they dont list a dual exh for 74-78 c bodies but did come up with the pattern for a 74, prob a police spec.
i hope to try and get it fitted in about a month, if its successful i will be letting ruth at waldron's know and will post about it
Any update?

Any update?
im ashamed to admit it but i havent even touched the car yet this year - its not stored near my home; ive been driving the 70 300 convert and the unexpected 72 new yorker. im in Ontario for the month of August but hope to get to it in september when im back in BC

I did recently receive the dual exhaust HP systems from Waldrons and I compared them to my original exhaust systems on both of my 1970 and 1971 Chrysler 300s with the 440HP engines. I am pleased to report that they look identical to the original in every detail. Since I am in the process of fully restoring both vehicles, I have not installed them yet in either car but from what I am seeing they are an identical match.

I did recently receive the dual exhaust HP systems from Waldrons and I compared them to my original exhaust systems on both of my 1970 and 1971 Chrysler 300s with the 440HP engines. I am pleased to report that they look identical to the original in every detail. Since I am in the process of fully restoring both vehicles, I have not installed them yet in either car but from what I am seeing they are an identical match.

Steve: This is such good news! I am thinking the system(s) you have evaluated will also work on my '70 300 convertible with the HP 440.

I remain interested in the answer for 1972 Chryslers with dual exhaust.

I remain interested in the answer for 1972 Chryslers with dual exhaust.

The 'early in the model year' data book and June/July(?) of 1971 model year 1972 Chrysler ordering guide with codes for the new models show the option available and coded N41.

https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/1972PlymouthOrderingInfo/1972_page_102.jpg look for code N41.

Yet, a Chrysler order sheet dated 1/72 does not list the N41 option.

I couldn't find any Product Information Bulletin or letters indicating the option was discontinued in the fall of '71.

Given they way the Jefferson plant coded fender tags, I doubt N41 would be coded on a tag.

As with many other topics, 'research continues'.

72_Chrysler_order.jpg

Last edited:
I think I may be repeating myself. The Mitchel manual for parts and labour lists part numbers for Imperial dual exhaust in 72/73. Duals were thought up but cancelled.

I have a dealer invoice for a 1972 New Yorker coded for N41 dual exhaust. I didn't even know it was an option. T Code 440 car.

Back