Dual Exhaust Systems on 1972 and 1973 Chrysler models with 440 engines Question

saforwardlook

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
The only fuselage Chryslers I own for 1972-3 are Imperials - a 1972 Imperial 4 door and a 1973 Imperial two door model that both have single exhaust systems. I see that Waldrons Exhaust systems offers a dual exhaust system at least for the regular Chrysler models so I am wondering what Chrysler models in these two model years offered the dual exhaust system? I don't believe there was an HP 440 engine available in either of those model years but maybe I am wrong. Hence the question......................... Thanks.

in 72 the 440 dual exhaust option added 20 hp raising the total to 245 net hp, i dont know if this was a U code or not; i suspect it was. and i dont know the option #.
fwiw, years ago i met someone with a 72 imperial that had duals, he said it came that way. his family bought it new

Last edited:
waldron's has sent me a dual exhaust set up for a 74, i plan to try to fit it to my 78 Salon.
this is a test run for waldron's and me, they dont list a dual exh for 74-78 c bodies but did come up with the pattern for a 74, prob a police spec.
i hope to try and get it fitted in about a month, if its successful i will be letting ruth at waldron's know and will post about it

I have not seen a decent dual exhaust for 72-73 Imperials except for TTi. The Imperials are a 127” wheelbase and Chryslers are 124” the mid pipe should be longer on the Imperial, I would imagine that you can ask to have it left long and you can trim it yourself.

1972 Dealer data book courtesy The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1972 Chrysler Dealership Data Book - Standard & Optional Equipment

72_Chrysler_Std_opt_equipment2.jpg

1973 Dealership data book from the same source. Nothing stated here about dual exhaust.

73-New-Yorkers_Newports_0004.jpg

The 225hp 440 and 245hp 440 are much more than an exhaust. It is a different carburetor, different camshaft and the HP exhaust manifolds, in addition to dual exhaust.

in 72 the 440 dual exhaust option added 20 hp raising the total to 245 net hp, i dont know if this was a U code or not; i suspect it was. and i dont know the option #.
fwiw, years ago i met someone with a 72 imperial that had duals, he said it came that way. his family bought it new

Indeed, see a reference to dual exhausts here too:
1677282171289.png

I see that Waldron's Exhaust (...) offers a dual exhaust system at least for the regular Chrysler models so I am wondering what Chrysler models in these two model years offered the dual exhaust system? I don't believe there was an HP 440 engine available in either of those model years but maybe I am wrong. Hence the question......................... Thanks.

waldron's has sent me a dual exhaust set up for a 74, i plan to try to fit it to my 78 Salon.
this is a test run for waldron's and me, they dont list a dual exh for 74-78 c bodies but did come up with the pattern for a 74, prob a police spec.
i hope to try and get it fitted in about a month, if its successful i will be letting ruth at waldron's know and will post about it

I have not seen a decent dual exhaust for 72-73 Imperials except for TTi. The Imperials are a 127” wheelbase and Chryslers are 124” the mid pipe should be longer on the Imperial, I would imagine that you can ask to have it left long and you can trim it yourself.

As of a month ago, I could not find a dual offering on Waldron's site for 1972 or 1973 Chryslers. I talked to Ruth about it, and was going to get measurements from @saforwardlook and @david hill to make sure that a 1971 would work. Lo and behold, there is now an offering:

1972-74 Chrysler Full Size V8 Dual Exhaust

I placed an order today, right after work, for Buttercup (my 1972 NYB)!

PS: thank you @saforwardlook for the thread, as I was not aware of the change on Waldron's site till I read your post and checked. BTW, I also found a dual listing for the 1972 Polara and Monaco.
PPS: thanks to @crv for helping me fix the link above.

Last edited:
my feeling is this is gonna work out fine.

Waldron is a quality outfit, and while the MY's are different, I'm betting that dimensional differences, IF ANY, over the years can be dealt with on installation and/or Waldron's participation (they have a incentive to see this work out I think per @marko's advance consultation with them).

Plus there were Chrysler-badged formals in police/tow package cars .. surely a "pattern" exists. And, my (Kip's) '78 Salon has dual exhaust on it right now that I could forward pics of if needed.

all the best @marko.

As of a month ago, I could not find a dual offering on Waldron's site for Chryslers. I talked to Ruth about it, and was going to get measurements from @saforwardlook and @david hill to make sure that a 1971 would work. Lo and behold, there is now an offering:

https://waldronexhaust.com/product/1972-74-chrysler-full-size-v8-dual-exhaust/does

I placed an order today, right after work!

PS: thank you @saforwardlook for the thread, as I was not aware of the change on Waldron's site till I read your post and checked.
PPS: there is also a dual listing for the 1972 Polara and Monaco.
Link didin't work, try this one: 1972-74 Chrysler Full Size V8 Dual Exhaust

As of a month ago, I could not find a dual offering on Waldron's site for Chryslers. I talked to Ruth about it, and was going to get measurements from @saforwardlook and @david hill to make sure that a 1971 would work. Lo and behold, there is now an offering:

https://waldronexhaust.com/product/1972-74-chrysler-full-size-v8-dual-exhaust/does

I placed an order today, right after work!

PS: thank you @saforwardlook for the thread, as I was not aware of the change on Waldron's site till I read your post and checked.
PPS: there is also a dual listing for the 1972 Polara and Monaco.
Interested in how it works out. Will be watching on progress.

When I was researching my dual system for Tux I found that the PDC and Y cars had the same head pipe numbers. The Imperial engine is in the same location as the other Cs.
I found dual exhaust part numbers in my Flat rate and parts book. If Waldrons is now offering a dual for 69/73 Cs it will fit an Imperial, thats what a got after researching.

From what I recall looking under the Formals when they were new, on the rack at the local Chrysler dealership, back then, the exhaust pipes were configured the same regardless of wheelbase differences between Plymouths, Dodges, and Chryslers. Different wheelbases, yes, but the pipes were all bent the same way. I suspect the intermediate pipes in front of the mufflers was where the differences were. Same with the Fuselage cars and Slabs.

Wish I had my '80s-era vintage Walker Exhaust catalog handy, as it had the numbers for the pipes and such, including the lh rr OEM-style hangers.

What WILL be different between the Formals, Fuselage Cars, and Slabs is the rear pipes behind the axle. When I put the "sewer pipe single" system on my '67 Newport, the system was for a '72 NY 440 or Imperial. The rear pipe was pretty much horizontal to the ground, to account for the Fuselage cars having a rear valence panel under the rear bumper. Whereas the rr qtr panel bottom on the '67 had a definate angle upward from the rr wheel area. So I had a muffler shop put a slight bend upward in the rear pipe and all was well. Formals, best I could tell, had a rear qtr panel bottom shape somewhere in between the Slabs and Fuselage Cars.

Now, years ago in the OIC forums, I had always suspicioned that the extra wheelbase length between Chryslers and Imperials was in the rear seat footwell area, considering that the rear seat legroom increased on the Dodges and their 122" wheelbase, as the Chryslers had more rear legroom with their 124" wheelbase, so I suspect the Imperials had more rear legroom than the Chryslers did, so then the middle pipe ahead of the mufflers would be longer, too. But a "knowledgeable person" in that forum stated that the Imperials longer wheelbase was in front of the cowl area, that kind of blew my suspicion apart. Then I checked the rear legroom on the Imperials and it was the same as the Chryslers. So, using that information, it could well be that Imperials and Chryslers can use the same pipes behind the head pipes as the floorpans are the same? I also suspect the rear body section of the Imperials might be a slight bit longer, so the very rear pipes might need to be longer, too.

Usually, too, Walker and others used to have some extension pipes of a selection of pipe diameters, to make up for using shorter-than-OEM mufflers.

Just some recollections,
CBODY67

I always heard that Imperials had the extra 3” inbetween the cowl and the front wheels to make the hood bigger. An Imperial is no more roomy on the inside than a Chrysler of the same year.

Now I am wondering what HP exhaust manifolds were installed on the 1972-3 models? Would they be the same as the 70 - 71s? That would seem unlikely to me but maybe my 72 parts book will help?

What I need from Waldrons is a dual exhaust set up for my 1970 - 71 Chrysler 300s with the 440 HP engines, which they say they do not supply for those models. I have John at Waldrons checking on this further as the catalog says they don't have the patterns for them. I may end up sending them my front pipes that attach to the HP manifolds and well as the intermediate pipes from one of my cars with the original system if necessary and they are willing to rely on them since they are definitely the original ones.

Just as an aside, John there said they have exhaust systems with mufflers that are "factory quiet", "mild imposter" and "imposter" made by a muffler company in Canada that supplies mostly Waldron as their major customer and may not serve the public. John said the company was affiliated with Waldrons and he didn't want to disclose their name to me and I told him that was fine as long as I could get what I want from Waldrons when I need the factory quiet ones (with the same dimensions too). The "factory quiet" systems also require their most thick exhaust pipes as well. So those are probably the highest priced systems (opting for stainless would add to the full price too).

Last edited:
I ordered a single exaust setup for the Eldorado through Waldron. Quality pipes fit great but the muffler was a real POC. Sound is horrible, just a loud drone. Getting that muffler replaced this spring.

I owned a 1973 Newport with a U code 440, It was a special order Missouri car. Dual exhaust, with the HP manifolds, the manifolds got mixed in with my other manifolds, so i don't really know which ones are which. The HP 440 C Body 70-71 manifolds should fit the 72-73 440 C body if going with a new exhaust.

I ordered a single exaust setup for the Eldorado through Waldron. Quality pipes fit great but the muffler was a real POC. Sound is horrible, just a loud drone. Getting that muffler replaced this spring.
I’ve had a very different experience with Medina, my 1971 Monaco T-code.

Back in 2019, I replaced an aftermarket dual setup with the correct single setup and OEM mufflers — got the whole set up from
Waldron’s Exhaust. I have driven the car on many long trips, including from Northern Illinois to Carlisle, and there is zero droning — which is what I wanted (vroom vroom is exciting for about ten minutes but, IMHO, is tiresome for long distance driving). More details and links here.

Last edited:
Back