Dumb things people did at car shows...

Organized shows are not nearly as bad as cruise-ins or shows held in public parking lots.
Although these huge shows that rent scooters and carts to anyone are getting awfully annoying.

I was at the Fabulous Fords Forver show a few years ago and a gent who had a well done Grabber Maverick let his wife drive it off the show grounds.
She got into the throttle while turning right out of the parking lot and panicked, started fish-tailing and ended up jumping the center divider and mowing down some shrubs and smashing the car into a light pole. The cars drivers side and front rim were mangled and the car had to be towed.
A women did the same thing with a early ‘60s vette at the Woodward Cruise years ago. She lost control hitting the curb and flipped it coming out of the median turn-around. Handles a little different than her minivan I’ll bet.

Now with most venues not allowing "organised" shows the same cars still show up albeit without the organiser playing music. Unfortunately the bikes and strollers weaving between the cars is much more common.

I'm guilty of a few brain farts over the years. One time backed the Polara into a light standard that jumped out behind me. Fortunately no damage since it hit right on the bumper guard. The only thing bruised was my ego. The odd folding chair left behind goes without saying.

One time I left home and thought I had everything. I had my big mirror, my drive-in tray, my 30 y/o book of photos documenting how I took an already nice car apart and put it back together; but I totally forgot my dust shammy and was unable to periodically wipe down my valve covers. Boy, was my face red?

Just kidding. I actually like cars.

Didn't happen at a car show. But my first driving car when I was 17 (2013) (still have it) a 75 Chrysler Newport. I was working at a golf course and I was on my lunch break eating in my car as this guy parks next to me and starts getting his clubs out and whatnot. He gets out and changes his shoes and puts his foot up on my front bumper to tie his shoe. And like "HEY what are you doing??" As I get out clearly pissed. He backed away and didn't say anything. boss called me to his office later because he complained I was threatening a customer. Told my boss what happened. ended up quitting a week later. Now I don't park my cars even remotely next to anyone.

Didn't happen at a car show. But my first driving car when I was 17 (2013) (still have it) a 75 Chrysler Newport. I was working at a golf course and I was on my lunch break eating in my car as this guy parks next to me and starts getting his clubs out and whatnot. He gets out and changes his shoes and puts his foot up on my front bumper to tie his shoe. And like "HEY what are you doing??" As I get out clearly pissed. He backed away and didn't say anything. boss called me to his office later because he complained I was threatening a customer. Told my boss what happened. ended up quitting a week later. Now I don't park my cars even remotely next to anyone.
LoL!!! That’s why I won’t pop for a big bucks paint job on a driver anymore. This last time I made it 3 days out of paint before I got door dinged by some thoughtless prick. 3 glorious days...

This is why my imperfect survivor green '68 Sport Fury is one of my favorite cars. It drives great and looks great unless you get up really close and get picky except for the dent on the right quarter panel from some idiot at my local NAPA store back in Connecticut. I learned that you cannot park far enough away from the door. Even if you park far away you still risk getting hit.

This question pops up at least a few times . Is that a real hearse. :rolleyes:

DSC03704.JPG

LoL!!! That’s why I won’t pop for a big bucks paint job on a driver anymore. This last time I made it 3 days out of paint before I got door dinged by some thoughtless prick. 3 glorious days...
Man, that really sucks and I know I would be irate if that happened. :BangHead:

Besides the cost factor, I've been thinking a lot lately about giving up on the idea of two-stage metallic and a new vinyl top and instead just going with a tinted epoxy primer. :eek:

Seriously. It would be less money so, I'd have more money for cruisin' and I wouldn't have to worry about nicks, scratches and stone chips. I don't drive it in wet weather, it's indoors all of the time. The metal is straight so I would still have to worry about dents and dings, though.

I think I mentioned this a few years back, my car is a 1964 dodge custom 880, so that is what I write down on the windshield placard that they give you when you enter. I had a gentlemen and his buddy walk up to my car at a show and look at it for awhile and he reads the placard aloud and says to me, " I don't see nothing custom about this and walks off.
_-erE5nsGMWZj0x03yVrmJaopn5Jk8O1xOJUh4jyggNYrPTYeoSKLpnajBfFnuguPDrDkFQ=w1157-h867-no?authuser=0.jpg

I'm glad my cars make people wonder if they need a tetanus shot if they get to close. They're not that bad, but the faded paint and worn look keep most people back a little.

I think I mentioned this a few years back, my car is a 1964 dodge custom 880, so that is what I write down on the windshield placard that they give you when you enter. I had a gentlemen and his buddy walk up to my car at a show and look at it for awhile and he reads the placard aloud and says to me, " I don't see nothing custom about this and walks off.
View attachment 397007
I had something similar happen to me when I had my Imperial at a small town festival. This old-timer felt he needed to argue with me about my Dodge Mirada. He left with that "you're just a dumb kid, what do you know" look on his face.

View attachment 397007
Had guys at the local Dodger dealerships ask me if this was a country squire . I guess they was close that is a wagon. :(

DSC02212.jpg

I think we've all seen hoods get closed on a model of the car sitting on the air cleaner.

Serves them right, too. I've never been able to understand the logic of having a small, crappy plastic copy of your car there when the REAL version is there, too. Do they think people come to car shows to see crappy model cars?
I saw this tonight and it reminded me of your post and made me laugh. The guy had a stuffed horse in the back seat too just in case some didn’t know a mustang is a horse. Lol!!!! Needless to say he talked my ear off. Lucky me!

08C47266-45D0-4AC3-A981-2B809A4A66DF.jpeg

Back