Edelbrock 1406 stumbles while Cornering.

WOT440

Reaction score
As the title says. 1406 Edelbrock with performer intake on my 440. I am getting a slight stumble (flat spot) while cornering. Feels like it runs out of fuel for a second but comes right out of it. Never stalls and runs good otherwise. Not a real issue. More of an annoyance.
Looking for opinions. TIA.

First thing to check is float level.

Next would be the fuel pump and push rod. You can easily check that with a soda bottle. Just disconnect the fuel line and the coil wire. Rubber hose to the bottle and crank engine. You should get a good stream of gas into the bottle. 10 seconds of cranking should fill a 16oz bottle half way or more.

Agree with the gents above. I would check the float level first thing.

Considering how tall and narrow those float bowls are, the float(s) would have to be set really low for the main jets to be uncovered, so I'm wondering if they might be too high and the air horn gasket might be leaking? In any event, the air horn will need to come off and see what's going on.

In the mean time, pump up the pressure in the front tires to about 32psi or so. Then the NEED to slow down so much will not be there, as you can then "drive" around the corners with only minimal speed decreases. More FUN! But it would also increase the G-forces acting on the fuel in the float bowls, so be prepared to strong-arm the power steering for a bit coming out of the corners.

If the floats are close to spec, as is, then look at the accel pump and main fuel pump pushrod (for wear).

Enjoy!
CBODY67

So, this is what I ended up with. 7/16 drill bit. It looks like the float it is setting on it from the image, but it is actually set exactly at 7/16. Initially what I seen was the level was set at close to 3/8 and the drop was at 1-1/8. At test drive noticed only at one time very slight flat spot taking a left turn at 15mph. but it went away once the engine warmed up a bit. I think I can live with this. I'll give it some time and see what happens. I appreciate everyone's support.
20230501_102435.jpg
20230501_102406.jpg

Last edited:
So, this is what I ended up with. That is a 7/16 drill bit. It looks like it is setting on it from the image, but it is actually set exactly at 7/16. Initially what I seen was the level was set at close to 3/8 and the drop was at 1-1/8. At test drive noticed only at one time very slight flat spot taking a left turn at 15mph. but it went away once the engine warmed up a bit. I appreciate everyone's support.
View attachment 594132View attachment 594133
I'll bet that will help. I'd still check the pump like I described. Takes just a few minutes for some peace of mind.

I'll bet that will help. I'd still check the pump like I described. Takes just a few minutes for some peace of mind.
Push rod was checked when the pump was installed. Was OK at that time 1k mi. ago. I have future plans to install a serviceable Carter pump with a modified lighter spring. Just haven't got to it yet. Next on the list of things to do is a Firm Feel steering gear (on order, stage 1) and upper and lower control are bushings. :) Thank you everyone.

Last edited:
In the mean time, pump up the pressure in the front tires to about 32psi or so. Then the NEED to slow down so much will not be there, as you can then "drive" around the corners with only minimal speed decreases. More FUN! But it would also increase the G-forces acting on the fuel in the float bowls, so be prepared to strong-arm the power steering for a bit coming out of the corners.
That's one way to look at it, and I could just upgrade the front sway bar.
'65-'73 C-Body Sway Bar Kit: 1-1/4" w/ Factory Sway Bar App.

Wait... You guys slow down for corners?

Note light under right rear. My oldest son behind the wheel.

john-jpg-jpg-jpg.jpg

They are Holrrible for keeping float adjustment. As it was a poor design Weber made. IF your aggressively driving with any of this cornering that "factory" fuel level is on the high side as the minor baffle plate they have doesn't do much.
Secondly what's the fuel pressure?
Anything over 5.5psi will leak past the needle/seat...
I tune for living & have for decades. You could spend $300 tuning that Weber/Edelbrock to absolute perfection.
Replace it with a 1805 Holley carb & spend $60 tuning & have a completely different driving car! I've proven it over & over & over again on the dyno.
And lastly where's the timing? The total After the mechanical advance... And do you have the vacuum advance stepping on Top of the mechanical advance? IF you do the initial timing has to be Very retarded (lazy) making throttle response not good

They are Holrrible for keeping float adjustment. As it was a poor design Weber made. IF your aggressively driving with any of this cornering that "factory" fuel level is on the high side as the minor baffle plate they have doesn't do much.
Secondly what's the fuel pressure?
Anything over 5.5psi will leak past the needle/seat...
I tune for living & have for decades. You could spend $300 tuning that Weber/Edelbrock to absolute perfection.
Replace it with a 1805 Holley carb & spend $60 tuning & have a completely different driving car! I've proven it over & over & over again on the dyno.
And lastly where's the timing? The total After the mechanical advance... And do you have the vacuum advance stepping on Top of the mechanical advance? IF you do the initial timing has to be Very retarded (lazy) making throttle response not good
Just curious, what got changed from the original Carter designs which make the later versions hard to keep the floats adjusted? Why are the Holleys better? Just curious.

My "driving feel" experiences between Holleys and Carters is that the Holley accel pump is much more responsive and accurate than the Carters ever were or could be, especially off-idle. But when the accel pump diaphram on a 4150/4160/4165/4175 starts to leak, it leaks onto the intake manifold. Carters don't have that problem, by observation.

Take care,
CBODY67

Just curious, what got changed from the original Carter designs which make the later versions hard to keep the floats adjusted? Why are the Holleys better? Just curious.

My "driving feel" experiences between Holleys and Carters is that the Holley accel pump is much more responsive and accurate than the Carters ever were or could be, especially off-idle. But when the accel pump diaphram on a 4150/4160/4165/4175 starts to leak, it leaks onto the intake manifold. Carters don't have that problem, by observation.

Take care,
CBODY67
Weber bought out Carter & hence why until just a few years ago All the Edelbrock carbs had WEBER cast into the main body due to patten. The Carter AVS was a HUGE improvement from the AFB in the secondary transition tuning. Then once Edelbrock took over they have dropped quality. I sold Carter product at 1 of the largest speed shops in the country for over 10 year's. I still have alot of Carter made parts. You can see & feel a difference in the same piece.
Majority of folks that like or even the ones that swear by Edelbrock carbs are people that can't & don't tune... 75% of folks over carb stuff which leads to poor accelerator response, richness, kills oil fast, and more.
Holley based carbs are a much better design from the bowl design to as you mentioned the accel pump or pumps on a double pumper...
On the Edelbrocks you bend a brass tab to adjust the float. Add the fact the carb is 190°, fuel is 110°, float is over a 100° & you hit a pot hole... BAM IT'S OFF
A 1/16" on these is all it takes.
You can't bet Quick Fuel's carbs for the $

IMG_20230914_060443_637.jpg

Back