Edelbrock 1411 off idle stumble

I think the 750 is a little much for my 440 and I'm still hoping to make it run even better but I'm not sure it's possible with the 1411. I am looking forward to putting the 1406 on my fresh 383 in the vert and will report back on that. All and all I would say these are decent carbs out of the box for basic decent street performance but if you're looking for something a little more I would say there are much better choices. I'm going to do the best I can to get my money's worth out of both of these and won't be buying another Performer series.

I changed out the orange springs in the 1411 for the pinks and it is now running the best it ever has for me. So I removed the spring under the nozzles, drilled the nozzles out to .040 and put the pink springs in it and I'm satisfied at the moment.
The 1406, which was working good on the 440 in my Imp had a tremendous off idle stumble when I put it on the fresh 383 in the vert and it got the 1411's .035 nozzles so I put the orange springs from the 1411 in it and it no longer stumbles either. I think it had the blue springs in it but there's no color left on them. They were shorter and lighter than the orange so I'm assuming they were the blue.
I should also mention that I had been running the orange springs from the 1411 in the 1406 while it was on my Imp and the 1411 was on the shelf.

image.jpeg

B 3
Y 4
O 5
P 6
S 7

So the higher the number, the less tension the spring has?

Last edited:
The other way.

Wow, I've been reading this thread with interest. I have a 67 300 'vert with 440 TNT and I currently have an Eddy 1411 750 cfm carb on it. It kinda performs OK but I'm not totally happy with this carburetor..My car just doesn't have the vim and vigor I think it should for the hi po engine and there are other issues.

Here's the way my carb is set up now:
It has the stock jets in both primary and secondary sides. I have a metering rod in there that has the stock calibration in cruise but one step richer in the power mode. I switched the stock spring (staged at 5 mm HG) for the silver spring which stages at 9-10 mm Hg. It has the stock accel pump shooter with the lever in the bottom hole.

As most have been saying; there is an off-idle stumble that's much worse when the car is cold. Some times it even backfires thru the carb when cold. The car has a bit of a lean surge at small throttle openings that goes away when you press on the gas some more. It gets about 10 mpg set up like this. Besides all this I have a choke problem. I've NEVER been able to set the choke right. It was WAY too rich when I got the carb. I've leaned it out but now the choke won't close enough for cold starts.

Go back to the middle hole on your accelerator pump, lose the weight or spring under the nozzle and drill out or replace the nozzles to something over .040. Mine was doing the exact same lean surge on normal acceleration and I was able to cure it. If none of that works try the pink springs.

Go back to the middle hole on your accelerator pump, lose the weight or spring under the nozzle and drill out or replace the nozzles to something over .040. Mine was doing the exact same lean surge on normal acceleration and I was able to cure it. If none of that works try the pink springs.
Here is where I'm getting confused.
When trying to cure the off the line stumble, it was determined that one should start off with no weight/spring.
Having no spring is equivalent to zero tension (the least possible).
Yet, if I read it correctly, you solved your hiccups by going to the heavier end of the spectrum of springs.
Yes, No, Maybe? Help me out here.

I'm new, have no FSM, and I only know how to jam 325/40 tires into the rear wheel well.

Here is where I'm getting confused.
When trying to cure the off the line stumble, it was determined that one should start off with no weight/spring.
Having no spring is equivalent to zero tension (the least possible).
Yet, if I read it correctly, you solved your hiccups by going to the heavier end of the spectrum of springs.
Yes. No. Maybe.
Two different springs. The first spring or weight is for the discharge ball and the second spring is for the metering rod.

Something to keep in mind....

All of these Performance carbs (Eddie & Holley) react differently with the 4,000 to 5,000 lb. cars we are bolting them on and moving that amount of weight. Also the cam, torque converter, and rear gear affects how these carbs perform too. My experience with cams with a lot of duration and lift will cause the car/carb to stumble and just hesitate until it hits the power band rpm's. 2.76 gear doesn't help either....stall converter helps.

If I remember right the troubleshooting section of the owners manual suggests using either a heavier or lighter step up spring to fix an off idle stumble. I can't remember which. Edelbrock carbs don't work very good with large duration cams that don't produce allot of manifold vacuum at idle.

Following with interest. Have had the same issue with 1411 prior to last rebuild and 1406 now on my 440. Symptoms are the same for both with minor off idle stumble particularly when cold. Only goes away at full operating temperature. I will try some of the remedies recommended. This is a fabulous thread.

Following with interest. Have had the same issue with 1411 prior to last rebuild and 1406 now on my 440. Symptoms are the same for both with minor off idle stumble particularly when cold. Only goes away at full operating temperature. I will try some of the remedies recommended. This is a fabulous thread.
Agree. This is something I never totally worked out on my 440 with a 1411 way back when. Gonna have some fun tweeky time this weekend.

I run a 1411 on my 440, mid 70's not HP, with an Eddy Performer, .484 Purple shaft cam, headers, and a 2500 stall. At first I had a Holley, but I screwed that up pretty good and could never get it close to what I needed. So I threw on the 1411 and tried to tune it as best I could. Got it pretty close and brought it to my mechanic friend. I might have been one of the last car hooked to his old scope. Got it close and went home. It had a little stumble at first, but I just tweaked my mixture screws a tiny bit and the stumble has gone away. The car doesn't like to be driven cold though, she's grumpy if she doesn't "wake up" first. Took it to a show about 60 miles away on Sunday, and it drove great. Even had a couple Death Proof moments deciding when to pass, "...Now!" I have the calibration kit, but haven't used it yet.

Back