Edelbrock 800 CFM on a 1966 440

Len Z

Reaction score
I finally got around to swapping on a Edelbrock 1413 800cfm carb.

The difference between stock and the Edelbrock is amazing!
Only had to adjust the choke and turn down the idle speed slightly.
Didn't even touch the mixture screws!

Took it out for a drive and it feels like i picked up 30+ hp, Never had a carb work so well out of the box ever. My 1966 New Yorker really pulls hard now.

Yep I've done an Eddy or two with great results right out of the box. I just put one of the new Demon 625's (Carter style) on my D440 truck. Same thing. Right out of the box it was near perfect. I put a Eddy 800 Thunder on a Stock 440. It ran rich at idle but shaved a full 5 tenths of my 1/8 mile time from the Stock Carter AFB 625

I finally got around to swapping on a Edelbrock 1413 800cfm carb.

The difference between stock and the Edelbrock is amazing!
Only had to adjust the choke and turn down the idle speed slightly.
Didn't even touch the mixture screws!

Took it out for a drive and it feels like i picked up 30+ hp, Never had a carb work so well out of the box ever. My 1966 New Yorker really pulls hard now.

Check out your throttle linkage and make sure it's adjusted properly so the carb is WOT when your gas pedal is WOT. I notice that adjustment is wrong on a lot of cars when they use Eddie or Holley aftermarket carbs.

Checked the throttle linkage and it wasn't 100% to the floor WOT so i adjusted that, Trans kick down is good.

Amazingingly it even starts so much easier cold too.

eddy 1412 800 cfm is whats on this 440 , going to add an electric choke to it
DSC01052.JPG
. going to change out the intake , it comes on to high for this driver , thinking eddy performer rpm duel plane . got it back down around the stocker cam .

I rejoice in knowing an Eddy is this close to a turn-key carb on a '66! I'm looking at options for my 383 w the venerable Stromberg 262. I was thinking of a Holley 500 CFM 2-bbl, the 4412S, but a cost effective 4 bbl intake + Edelbrock carb combo might persuade me.

Last edited:
Back