Choke in Edelbrock on 440

Reaction score
I have a newer carb om my 69 imperial. Its an Edelbrock. Engine runs great and idle is very smooth

But carb has No choke. Beside the carb is something that looks like a divorsed choke rod. If i want a choke. Is the easier way to install an Electric choke?

In front of carb is 2 plugged connections. Could one of them, the bigger, be the one that should go to the valve cover on the passenger side? On the valve cover on the drivers side is a hose that goes to the air cleaner.

Gustav

B6C7ADD7-5438-4E2C-A71D-7248E460E60D.jpeg

E48140DB-9895-4A46-A709-8C05B5288E70.jpeg

Yep, you will need to do some modifications. There is a possibility that the choke rod coming from the intake can be straightened but I bet it won't be long enough to attach to the arm on the carb choke. Can that small arm be moved 180° on the choke shaft? As long as the lever and arm travel in the right direction to make the choke operate correctly you may be ok. An electric choke may be a lot easier. You might need to find the carb model and do your homework to see if a new choke kit can be installed on that carb. Or you can look for a good used carb that you can swap and run. Lots of choices. The vig vacuum port on the front of the carb is for the pcv valve. The large hose on your air cleaner should go to a breather on a valve cover. The other valve cover should have the pcv.

Yep, you will need to do some modifications. There is a possibility that the choke rod coming from the intake can be straightened but I bet it won't be long enough to attach to the arm on the carb choke. Can that small arm be moved 180° on the choke shaft? As long as the lever and arm travel in the right direction to make the choke operate correctly you may be ok. An electric choke may be a lot easier. You might need to find the carb model and do your homework to see if a new choke kit can be installed on that carb. Or you can look for a good used carb that you can swap and run. Lots of choices. The vig vacuum port on the front of the carb is for the pcv valve. The large hose on your air cleaner should go to a breather on a valve cover. The other valve cover should have the pcv.
Thanks!

Why don't you just replace the missing choke?

Looks to me like you can buy the missing parts from Edelbrock. That would be the easiest way.

Back