Educate Me . . .

jollyjoker

Reaction score
This is a weird one . . . where was THIS sold? I know it's not Canada. Maybe Australia, South Africa, Europe, or . . . ???

s-l1600.jpg

Mm, Australian 1965 Dodge Phoenix, RHD too. In Australia they started off selling the 1960 Dodge Dart Phoenix and stuck with the Dodge Phoenix name 1961 to 64 as well as keeping with the dodge platform, then from 1965 to 1971 they went with the Plymouth Fury Platform and kept the Dodge Phoenix name.

Mm, Australian 1965 Dodge Phoenix, RHD too. In Australia they started off selling the 1960 Dodge Dart Phoenix and stuck with the Dodge Phoenix name 1961 to 64 as well as keeping with the dodge platform, then from 1965 to 1971 they went with the Plymouth Fury Platform and kept the Dodge Phoenix name.
Adding to that,65-71 were partially assembled in Windsor Ontario,then shipped to Down Under where the RHD schtuff and final assembly was done.

O.K. Wrecked out a 74 Monaco Import many years ago, one thing we noted was that the LHD Steering Box was jammed into the corner formed by the Left rail & the Engine X member. The Idler & the Pitman Arms going backwards. The Aussie 65 - 72 Plymouth / Phoenix had the P/S Box mounted to the R/H Rail roughly halfway between the Firewall & the Engine X member. The Idler, Pitman Arm & Lower Balljoints for these Models are uniquely Australian. No Replacements available, So we have to get them Remanufactured. As stated Engine placement remained about two inches to the right (which was originaly to allow clearence for the LHD S/Box). Right bank was fitted with Centre Outlet Exhaust to clear RHD S/Box, which can be a Problem, had the experience of having a P/S Hose split & Spray Fluid all over a Hot Manifold, the only thing that saved the car was a couple of the local Constabulary pulled up with Fire Extinguishers & Doused the Fire. As much as we may Malign them they do a Good Job. Tony.M

Hello to all. First post here. I will introduce myself soon enough in an introduction thread. As a long time classic Mustang enthusiast and car nut and as a member of a car club here in Hervey Bay, QLD, I want to help a fellow member out.
He's at a loss at to what the issue may be. (Admittedly, he should be asking the right questions to the right people, but alas, I am doing it for him. He's an old fellow with a 1960 Dodge Phoenix, Australian delivery.
I'm posting on this site because upon reading just this thread, I noticed there are knowledgeable people here who would know what the hell is going on with the Aussie delivered US cars here. Picture is of his car attached. His steering has become temperamental in the last few months. Sometimes the wheel is easy to turn other times it's tough. He's just ordered a replacement power steering pump and got that swapped recently. It hasn't fixed the issue. In a way it's made it worse, but he was vague in describing it. As mentioned it was an Aussie delivery/converted. I also know from looking at it that it isn't as simple as a power steering pump connected to the steering box as in my 71 Mach1. His is more complicated. And I am unfamiliar with those setups. Can someone tell me or give me a hint at what the next culprit in the link could be which he needs to look at. (or to the point, get looked at). Cheers Jim.
Thanks to all for reading ... Glad to join, hope to stick around and talk car stuff.
image.png

Welcome!
Since the pump did not solve the issue, next step is the pressure valve on top of the steering box where the pressure hose connects to.
Try taking it off the box and clean it.
No improvement replace steering box.

Jim Niki,
Being a "60" Model I would guess that we are not talking about a Power Steer Box so much as a Ram Assisted Manual Box. (Much Like a ZD Fairlane)
Up until 1965 we Really Didn't have Power Steering Boxes as Such here in the Land of OZ.
Power Assisted Rams were available until 61 But then we had "B" Body Vehicles through to 64 and they were Mostly Standard Manual Steer to My Experience.
I Might be wrong on that Vehicle but the 59 Dodge Custom Royal I owned was a Power Ram Assisted Set Up.
These are a P.I.T.B. when Parking as the "Assist" doesn't work well at Low Revs, On the Road they're O.K.
They also have a Problem with Seals, as, if you "Bump" the Gutter when Parking they tend to Split the Seal in the Ram.
I Doubt that this is his Problem as once you do that it Empties the System of Oil.
Forgive Me, But as You mentioned he is Elderly and I have Found myself that as you get Older the Steering does get Harder. LOL
Perhaps a Power Steer Pump with a Smaller Pulley may Help or a Higher Pressure Pump.
Suggest talking to Pirtek Fella or Perhaps a "Older Power Steer Mech might be Helpful.
Looked into Fitting a 65 / Later Steering Box Setup to the 59 some years back, Happy to Discuss over the Phone if you Get That Desperate. LOL
Also there is a P/S Box off "Some Strange Beastie" that is being used by a Few Fellas. (Toyota Cressida or Something, I'll have to Check for you.)
Kind Regards Tony.M

Thanks heaps to all. I'll pass on this information onto him... We met up at our monthly meeting last night... He's a little bit down now with his pride and joy.... His brakes are playing up a little now also... Could this all be related? It doesn't have hydroboost or anything does it? Thanks again to all... Jim

Forgive Me But.....
It Sounds like the Vehicle is Overdue for Maintenance or Not Being Driven Often Enough.
I have seen Vehicles that gave trouble just about every time they were taken out, much to their Owners chagrin.
But just like you & me if we sit in front of the T.V. for Long Enough. Nothing Works when we finally Stand up.
A Car needs to be used regularly.
A fellow club member had an old friend leave him a V12 Jaguar in his Will.
He treasured the Car and only ever took it out on Special Occasions, One day he confessed to me that he hated the thing.
When I asked why, he said that EVERY Time he had taken it for a Drive, it broke down.
As it was only Driven every 3 - 4 Months I don't blame the car.
As Far as the Dodge Brakes go, the Standard Set Up was Un-Boosted Drums / Single Pot M/Cyl.
A VH 40 / 44 Remote Booster could be fitted as with most cars in those Days.
Just like P/Steer on HR Holdens these were "Extras" that Not a Lot of Drivers took on.
I live in Sydney, I'm Retired, Been a Mopar Freak over 50 Years.
If he needs Info or Advice I'm Happy to Help if I can.
Kind Regards, Tony.M

Back