Electrical problems

monaco

Reaction score
1 have a 1966 monaco and cant get the brake lights,turn signals and front driving/turn signals to work properly. I have replaced the turn signal switch,the reverse light switch. Cleaned all connections front to back. Replaced the bulkhead connector.
What's happening is, when I hit the brakes the pass side brake 1/4 panel comes on with the driver side trunk lid light. Same when I turn the right side turn signal on they both flash. When I turn the left side turn signal on they all flash but very dim. I got the right side front indicator to flash but the left just stays on. On the instrument panel,they both flash but the left seems weaker. I've tried everything but clean the fuse connections and ground all light sockets straight to the battery which is my next job.
Any input would be appreciated.
Getting frustrated.

Do you have the FSM wiring diagram? Might look for a blown in-line fuse somewhere. I spent hours trying to track down some really weird electrical gremlins (65 Dodge). Finally, after looking at the diagram for the 100th time, I realized there was another fuse in the circuit (mine was ~6 inches off the fuse block, IIRC). When it blows, all the electrons go looking for (multiple) strange places to flow. Good luck . . . !

Ground problem. No doubt.

Jumper wire with alligator clips from good ground to light housings will prove it easily enough.

Ground problem. No doubt.

Jumper wire with alligator clips from good ground to light housings will prove it easily enough.
Tried that. Nothing. I may try grounding all light sockets straight to the battery

Do you have the FSM wiring diagram? Might look for a blown in-line fuse somewhere. I spent hours trying to track down some really weird electrical gremlins (65 Dodge). Finally, after looking at the diagram for the 100th time, I realized there was another fuse in the circuit (mine was ~6 inches off the fuse block, IIRC). When it blows, all the electrons go looking for (multiple) strange places to flow. Good luck . . . !

I don't see any inline fuses in the wiring diagram.

20210509_161908.jpg

Don't know . . .probably need to be an EE to figure it out. IIRC, my C-pillar interior lights and something else (I forget) would go funky, but would go back to normal if I pushed in the rear console cigar lighter. Go figure . . . I know that the blown fuse was letting something back-feed, but exactly where, what, or how - I have no idea. And remember, you have 6 tail lights in your circuit - I only had 2 - so your electricals (once you get out of the dash) are going to be a little different

Don't know . . .probably need to be an EE to figure it out. IIRC, my C-pillar interior lights and something else (I forget) would go funky, but would go back to normal if I pushed in the rear console cigar lighter. Go figure . . . I know that the blown fuse was letting something back-feed, but exactly where, what, or how - I have no idea. And remember, you have 6 tail lights in your circuit - I only had 2 - so your electricals (once you get out of the dash) are going to be a little different

I changed the fuse, no change. I think I'm going to have to rip the whole wiring harness out and go through it.

I would unplug the rear harness connector behind the left kick panel and see if you have voltage on the correct wires at the connector.

Bad at the connector = problem under the dash/turn switch

Good at the connector = problem in the rear harness

Check it with a test light, not a meter.

Jeff

I would unplug the rear harness connector behind the left kick panel and see if you have voltage on the correct wires at the connector.

Bad at the connector = problem under the dash/turn switch

Good at the connector = problem in the rear harness

Check it with a test light, not a meter.

Jeff
Ok. Thanks

Each one of those 1/4 head screws holding the circuit board on the back of the instrument cluster is a ground. Take each one off and clean underneath with some emery cloth. One of these caused all kinds of problems in my coronet

Just changed plug wires on my 66 Sport Fury 383 w/gm style hei distributor. Went to start and no power at all, no lights, crank, nothing. Any help appreciated

It's been a month + since your last post, how'd you make out?
If jumping the starting solenoid on the fire wall does not result in turning the started motor, inspect/clean the terminal on the solenoid, right next to the starter. It's the small wire.
If you have a good battery, and are jumping the solenoid and the terminal on the solenoid is good, and nothing happens (not even a click), it can only be the solenoid.

Thanks for the help, I got it going, it was a small wire off at the firewall that I never noticed. It must have been when I changed the positive battery wire and knocked it or something. It is running good now,brought it to Mopars in the Park last weekend might have to replace thermostat though.

Back