electronic ignition conversion?

jrm

Reaction score
I bought a jegs electronic ign kit for my 62 361, the distributor comes w the mid springs installed for the mech advance, my motor is stock, does anyone have any advice on if I should swap the spring to the softer spring bringing the mech advance in sooner? Need to pull the distributor to do it and since its out I wondered if it should be done now.
Or does it not really matter.
Thanks, John.

I bought a jegs electronic ign kit for my 62 361, the distributor comes w the mid springs installed for the mech advance, my motor is stock, does anyone have any advice on if I should swap the spring to the softer spring bringing the mech advance in sooner? Need to pull the distributor to do it and since its out I wondered if it should be done now.
Or does it not really matter.
Thanks, John.

Here we go again! Before you dick around with any type of new/upgraded/whatever ignition system. Read this, esp. in between the lines and what it really says before you F something up. I don't care what you think just because it talks about the charging system, there's a reason they say this! Good Luck http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Electrical/charging.htm

Leave It stock. You would Be At Full Advanced At 20MPH more or Less Its Not A Full Blown Race Car

thanks for the link i had already seen it. mine does have the alt and trans, vr. will do my best not to
f things up and dick with things but thats what a mechanic does!
john.

Install went well, worked on cleaning up wiring while under the hood, cleaning grounds and taping up connections, .035 on plugs seem fine, car pulls strong past 60mph now, lighter springs in distributor would have been fine as the car is used only for cruising and total timing in earlier probably would have been fine but will drive more and go from there. Seems like I have touched most everything on this car since august as it had been sitting for a long time but now to enjoy it.
John.

Back