Electronic Ignition in 73

MrMoparCHP

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I was just looking through the wiring diagrams for the 69-73 C-Body and noticed the the 73 does not show electronic ignition. I looked at the diagrams for the 73 A,B&E and they all show electronic ignition.

Did the 1973 C-Bodies not have electronic ignition from the factory?

Alan

Here are the 73 Polara/Monaco diagrams

73PolaraMonacoB.jpg73PolaraMonacoA.jpg

73PolaraMonacoB.jpg

73PolaraMonacoA.jpg

At lunch I was at home and looked at the FACTORY Service Manual and those diagrams all show electronic ignition.

Another reason to use factory literature and not some dime store knockoff.

Alan

Yeah the diagram you posted is a Mitchell diagram same as what I would have here. Just so everyone knows I am always looking for FSM Mopar diagrams so I can help further the automotive electrical needs of our Mopar family!:eusa_whistle:

Does sombody have an engine harness from a 73 they can show me, prefer out of the car.

It looks like the ignition module portion plugs into the engine harness.

Alan

72 was the option year and 73 was standard.... someone here told us about the option on Imperials being earlier...

I have already added Electronic Igntion to my beater Polara and am in the middle of converting to the later style electronic voltage regulator and dual field alternator. I thought it might be easier if I could get a 73 harness but notice that they didn't have the ignition module connector as part of the harness, that being said I see no benefit of doing that and will just rebuild my existing harness as it needed cleaning up. About the only differences in my setup will be that it will have a single pole ballast not the dual as the newer ignition modules are internaly regulated. Also my harness will not have some extra connectors that the 73 has as I'm not going to have it break down like the 73.

While I'm at it I might even intergrate the heater harness and make it all one.

Alan

Absolutely the best basic Mopar ignition circuit diagram I have ever seen. Every person who sees nothing but a maze under the hood when it won't start should have a copy of that pinned to his forehead. Add a copy of the starter circuit and he's got everything.
Thanks.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
Like this. Granted this is with points but still basically the same.

eliminate-bypass-wire.jpg

And all of these are pulled from Painless manuals so sorry for the wire number references. Its just a basis for how the system is wired.

eliminate-bypass-wire.jpg

For those who want to cut to the chase, here is the conversion for dummies...

reg.jpg

It is far simpler than it looks in those other diagrams.

Alan

reg.jpg

Back