Elwood and the "Jet Fuselage Look"

mopar E

Reaction score

53196674_10215833600045245_3921751624573255680_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyz1-1.jpg

After our acquisition of the '66 Newport Town Sedan (Oct '66) and learning about all of their neat features and enjoying the styling, when we (as current Chrysler owners AND possibly interested in trading in 1969) got the early-introduction picture packet from Chrysler, I was very enthusiastic about the new styling of the '69 C-body cars. A breath of fresh air after years of "angles". I was hooked! I've still got that packet, protected, somewhere.

Obviously, the new fuselage side contours were dramatic enough for GM's '72 B/C-cars to basically copy it. NOT unlike the affect upon GM styling/design as the '57 Chrysler products had? Only thing was that the prior under hood accessibility of the '66-era Chryslers vanished with the new "GM-oriented" engineering, to me. Which was a bummer. Hidden hvac blower motors, for example. Hoses everywhere! Fenders too high to comfortably lean over!

But I liked the looks and made allowances for how it all interacted. I LIKED looking out over the hood of the '72 Newport Royal my parents bought new. The expanse of interior room that strained the capacity of the factory a/c. That HUGE trunk and such. And it all looked good and proportioned to scale. Good styling, to me.

I liked the Plymouths and Dodges, too. The general wedge shape (front to rear) on the Polara/Monacos looked "fast" to me. Stylish and upscale, too. Even if the concave rear glass on the DH43N0D made for a more intimate rear seating experience than the "wide open spaces" of the Royal 4-dr sedan.

Then the '74 cars went back toward the lower belt lines and more "airy feel" of the '65-era C-bodies. Styling that was more "formal" than "aerodynamic". EACH has their respective great features and endearments. Each was designed/built in different times and such. Interesting times to grow up with those cars, in real time.

CBODY67

I like this proposal, it keeps some continuity with the '68 (full width tail lamp).

IMG_20190310_183928.png

Back