Emergency Flasher question

Knebel

Reaction score
I have just installed my custom gauges and I have an issue with my Hazards. Its all wired pretty simply, all gauges and gauge lights share the same ground and power. Then I have a led for brights (which works just fine). And an LED for the parking brake. This one is seperate power and ground just like original.

The turn signal Leds however are grounded with everything else and receive the input just like before from the existing wires.

The issue I am having now is that if I am not on the brake and turn the hazards on, both indicaters are on solid. So are the fender marker lights (but not the turn signals!?). When I switch the turn signal switch to either side, the hazard flashers all flash.

When I do it with the engine off, same problem excpt it flashes everything...gauges on/off and gauge lights on/off. Like... the fuel gauge cycles on and off for example..

For power I used the black wire that was attached to the capacitor and got 12v on key on. Sooo... whats going on there, do the turn signal LEDs need their own ground? Its really not any different than them being grounded through the original gauge cluster. Scratching my head here...

20211230_134353.jpg

20211230_134406.jpg

Ignore my German talking but here is am example

Last edited:
My cars have a separate flasher for the hazards - and it has a different prong arrangement than the turn signal flasher.

Check out the wiring diagram and see how it's set up, and maybe you'll see that you have to create the same sort of thing.

Nice job on your instrument cluster. Like the previous post mentioned, hazards have a separate flasher. Good luck.

I'm watching this thread, too. I installed a new-to-me horn ring and now I have a short somewhere that's causing my left blinker and tail light to stay on solid, and the right blinker is the only one that blinks, but only when the hazard lights are on. No choice but to disconnect battery until I have time and the weather warms up...

Well, I had thought maybe I somehow got the main power for the dash from the flasher relay or something but I did measure with a voltmeter and it was a switched source that had 12v with ign on.

What baffels me is that the indicator lights arent grounded or attached any different before. Before I did the gauge conversion, the indicators were only solid when the hazards are on and youd have the foot on the brake.

I looked at the wiring diagram and the powersource I used comes from the 12v junction. The flashers should literally not be able to excite power to the gauges at all. The only common is the ground, thats it.

Hmmm I have to check if I replaced the hazard flasher relay when I did my LED conversiin...maybe that is the culprit. I know I did the relay for the turn indicators but now i am not sure about the hazards...

OK, you may be onto the issue - they have to be LED compatible, and usually, if I recall correctly, they are also grounded, unlike the old fashioned type.

I switched to LED turn signals as well. Without a grounded flasher relay for both turn signals and emergency lights I would get steady on left and right turn signals with a slight pulsing of brightness. Like it was trying. Interestingly enough I've had LED rear bulbs for years and the original flashers were fine. But once I switched the front amber turn bulbs I needed the new grounded flashers.

Okay so but that does not explain why all the gauges keep flashing when I turn them on... they literally only share the ground wire.

I'm not sure exactly what you've got happening here, but I'm betting there is a missing ground somewhere. The 1157 type bulbs in the front parking/turn lights & the rear tail/stop/turn lights have hot feeds from 2 different circuits that share a ground. With a missing ground, that can back feed power into the other circuit and do all sorts of bizarre things like this.

I assume that your gauges light up with the parking lights, so they are connected at the headlight switch to the parking lights, which are getting power through the hazzards.

I did that - accidentally used a dual contact 1157 bulb instead of the single 1156 bulb and all kinds of lights were coming on that shouldn't have. Im not sure how the dual contacts actually touched the center contact on the socket but it did somehow.

Interesting... and no, the gauge lights are not connected to the lightswitch. I wanted them permanently on so the lights get the same power as the rest.

Interesting... and no, the gauge lights are not connected to the lightswitch. I wanted them permanently on so the lights get the same power as the rest.

Ok, that does make the path harder to figure out, but I still suspect a missing ground is allowing power to backfeed into the other circuit somehow.

Just to clarify, are your exterior park/turn signal & tail/brake/turn bulbs LEDs? If so, it sounds like you should check to see if the hazard flasher unit got upgraded as well as the turn signal one.

Alright I figured it out.... i did not replace the hazard flasher relay with the LED one... lucky enought I had bought 2 and so i changed that and now it works. There is still some backfeed or something when the flasher are on and you switch the turn signal out of the middle, the instruments turn on and off!? Not that its ever neccessary to do that but still strange...

Back