Engine Color?

mpgmike

Reaction score
After viewing engine shots from well over a dozen cars, I'm still stumped on the color for the '59 Imperial 413. The air cleaner is gold. Valve covers are sometimes gold and sometimes black. Engine usually looks black (could just be grease), but sometimes silver. Engine is fresh, needs paint. Help please. IMG_20150523_135236_388.jpg

IMG_20150523_135236_388.jpg

Air breather is gold, everything else is black.
Block is black
Intake is black
Oil pan is black
Valve covers are black
Paint it all black

Last edited by a moderator:
I can remember when my great uncle bought a '59 Imperial from an old bachelor in about 1965. The old guy used to drive around fields and check crops so the engine compartment was covered with grass, seeds, weed parts, grasshopper and cricket carcasses. You could barely see the engine and it is surprising it didn't catch fire. My great uncle took it to one of those "new fangled" car wash places and sprayed out the debris really well. I clearly remember standing in front of the car admiring the spotless engine which was all black with a coppery gold colored air cleaner.

Considering the car isn't at my home, and I spend a lot of time out of state and overseas, I'm proud of myself for getting time to work on the Imp. Got the engine, tranny, torque converter painted. I sand blasted the tranny cross member before painting it.

PaintedEngine1.jpg

PaintedTQ1.jpg

PaintedTranny1.jpg

PaintedTrannyCrossMember1.jpg

Back