Engine confusion may need decode

Pulled the pan. numbers on the crank are not very clear to me I will attach photos. appears to be 3462923, 34B2923.. 3,6,8 and B all look similar
20190626_231340.jpg
20190626_231340.jpg
20190626_231318.jpg
20190626_231318.jpg
20190626_231318.jpg

There are no stamps on the deck near the distibutor or any markings near the oil pressure sending unit. Only thing near the starter is stamped 683

3462923 is a cast iron crank. It is externally balanced and needs the weighted torque convertor and the harmonic balancer for the externally balanced engine. Shows to have been used in the '71 383 2BBL engine and '72-'78 400 passenger car engines with 2BBL. Your engine would need harmonic balancer #3577180. The 383 and 400 2BBL share the same connecting rods. Your engine looks nice and clean inside for whatever that is worth..

Dave

Last edited:
Yea its only got about 25000 miles on it since rebuilt. Too bad its cast actually I was going to build it up a little. I should have paid the extra grand for the 440 back then but i was about 20 years old. I see a 71 hp 440 for sale locally for a good deal I'm going to look at. Funny how the rebuilder must have gotten rid of the id numbers on the block deck and near the starter...

Looks like they put a cast crank in a 1966 block. While I agree with earlier post that reman shops try to keep correct year stuff together, at the same time they need to move product out the door.

383 blocks with an 'E' stamped by the dizzy are to have cast cracks. I have one, a 71 cast 383.

No need to pitch the engine, just get the correct balancer and converter.

It has a cast crank externally balanced harmonic balancer and torque convertor and runs good. and is not an original survivor I will keep the motor in it for now but will proceed with a 440 build opposed to 383 mods. Was going to put a cam stall convertor and maybe head work on it but at that point i might as well get a 440 and do it out of the car and save the 383 for later or a different c body prospect with a blown engine. It appears that the 440s are not as valuable as they used to be. Around here the pre 71 are 700 or less. The 72 plus are like 200 dollars. Some marine 440s for cheap as well. Anyone know if they are compatible or any good?

440's went to cast crank in 73 other than some 4spds (I have a forged crank 440 out of a 76 W200 4spd truck).
I have some running 440's I'd sell, PM if you want.

Interesting. The pre 72s must just have a higher price due to compression ratio difference and gross hp rate opposed to net. I'd out your motors but I live near Detroit.

It has a cast crank externally balanced harmonic balancer and torque convertor and runs good. and is not an original survivor I will keep the motor in it for now but will proceed with a 440 build opposed to 383 mods. Was going to put a cam stall convertor and maybe head work on it but at that point i might as well get a 440 and do it out of the car and save the 383 for later or a different c body prospect with a blown engine. It appears that the 440s are not as valuable as they used to be. Around here the pre 71 are 700 or less. The 72 plus are like 200 dollars. Some marine 440s for cheap as well. Anyone know if they are compatible or any good?

The marine engine is probably a different casting number. Pretty sure those engines used the truck/industrial block. Would probably still work, but a lot of stuff like the crank, rods, pistons, heads, water pump housing and manifolds will be different, so it would be a major project to convert.

Dave

Looks like they put a cast crank in a 1966 block. While I agree with earlier post that reman shops try to keep correct year stuff together, at the same time they need to move product out the door.

383 blocks with an 'E' stamped by the dizzy are to have cast cracks. I have one, a 71 cast 383.

No need to pitch the engine, just get the correct balancer and converter.

If the engine order specified a '71 383 with a 2BBL, they might also have built the '66 engine to '71 specs, especially if they examined the '71 core and noted the cast crank. That way it should have been correct for the existing '71 harmonic balancer and convertor.

Dave

Back