Engine ground question

That’s your oil pressure sender wiring.

In my research 1969 and older cars have a firewall to engine ground and a battery cable. The way I understand it is the engine ground is the battery, and the body ground is the engine.

1970 and up have no firewall to engine ground and a small additional body ground at the battery that replaces the ground that would be at the back of the engine.
Ill get a better picture tomorrow. My '69 definitely has a firewall ground.

There are 3 grounds. One comes off of the battery negative terminal and goes to the body near the battery, one bolts to the engine at the front of the block, near the end of the front of the driver's side head, above the power steering pump and below the valve cover, and then the rear ground at the back of the passenger side head as described by others (including me). Other years have used the flat ground woven cable (often called a strap) on the rear, but it is not applicable in your case.
In later years during the 70's a woven cable (strap) was used (74 up) and also when grounding hoods et etcetera for heavy duty police cars ( same era) so as to reduce electrical interference. Also not needed in your case.

The light color wire on far left

View attachment 586315
Sorry. Wrong wire. Here is my engine ground.

IMG_20230312_112145274.jpg

That’s correct for 69 and older. 70 and newer will not have that wire. 70 and newer has a body ground at the core support that is part of the negative battery cable.

I did a concours restoration on a 69 Charger. You can see the ground cable.

Then my 72 Imperial you do not see a ground cable to the firewall.

8D848440-4CD6-4B72-B137-97984D887171.jpeg

19AC20CF-2EF8-4F8D-8E0B-C8F553230357.jpeg

IMO, it is way more important that it is there and functions than if it is factory installed unless of course you are into concourse judging. I've never been too concerned about correctness since most of us add our own finger print anyway such as electronic ignition, different wheels, bigger carb etc. I make my own grounds using braided tinned conductor and crimped lugs. Simply because it is easier to recognize what it is and what it's job is. You can't have too many grounds but it is important that the ones you do have are clean and function properly. The biggest cause of electrical issues in our old iron is bad grounds and bad connections.

IMO, it is way more important that it is there and functions than if it is factory installed unless of course you are into concourse judging. I've never been too concerned about correctness since most of us add our own finger print anyway such as electronic ignition, different wheels, bigger carb etc. I make my own grounds using braided tinned conductor and crimped lugs. Simply because it is easier to recognize what it is and what it's job is. You can't have too many grounds but it is important that the ones you do have are clean and function properly. The biggest cause of electrical issues in our old iron is bad grounds and bad connections.
Im hoping thats whats wrong with some of my stuff. Im putting intake and valve cover gaskets in and thats how i learned about the grounds.

Im not going for show quality either. Im going for clean and fun haha.

you should have more ground straps than one would think. the more the better. scrape off any paint before grounding. just my 2 cents.
Guys, don’t scrape off any paint! this is just plain bullshit advice.

The grounding takes place on the bolt threads and the bolt head.

The factory never scraped off any paint and they have made millions of cars that made it through warranty with no issues. How many factory original cars you take apart that have scraped paint under the grounded parts?

Anyone here ever worked at a car dealership or repair shop?

Guys, don’t scrape off any paint! this is just plain bullshit advice.

The grounding takes place on the bolt threads and the bolt head.

The factory never scraped off any paint and they have made millions of cars that made it through warranty with no issues. How many factory original cars you take apart that have scraped paint under the grounded parts?

Anyone here ever worked at a car dealership or repair shop?
The factory maybe didn't scrape any paint off but they didn't put much more than one coat of paint on either. There must have been some grounding problems with the older cars since the newer ones have designated ground studs. I don't necessarily scrape any paint unless my ohm meter tells me my ground reference is not good enough. If I can't get less than .05 ohms to ground, I'm gonna scrape paint and or use a star washer to get what I want for a reading. Any thing other than a good ground is just plain bullshit advice. (IMO of course)

True, true & true. It doesn't change the fact that grounding on repainted cars is a problem.
Maybe the sheet metal screws are just threading in and not cutting threads.

Alan

Back