Engine VIN question

The Mopar Dude

Reaction score
Its the engine section, and I dont have a clue, so here goes.
Working on a 68 Roadrunner that had the engine replaced with a 440 decades ago. Pad stamp on top indicates that it is a 69 (E440) with a build date of 9-6. Cast date on the block is 8-12-68 so all that jives. Here is the freaky part--Whole serial number is on the pan rail and it reads CH43V9G...... Sure, pull the engine out of a 4 door New Yorker and put it in the Roadrunner, I get it. But the V is what throws me. Ought to be most likely a K, but its not. They didnt use V till 70 and that was a 440-6pack. V doesnt even show up in 69. Clear as day, its a V. Havent checked the bolts on the flywheel to see if there are 6 or 8 bolts, and it has a standard issue 440 balancer.
Wonder what the heck the V is. Any input?

Its the engine section, and I dont have a clue, so here goes.
Working on a 68 Roadrunner that had the engine replaced with a 440 decades ago. Pad stamp on top indicates that it is a 69 (E440) with a build date of 9-6. Cast date on the block is 8-12-68 so all that jives. Here is the freaky part--Whole serial number is on the pan rail and it reads CH43V9G...... Sure, pull the engine out of a 4 door New Yorker and put it in the Roadrunner, I get it. But the V is what throws me. Ought to be most likely a K, but its not. They didnt use V till 70 and that was a 440-6pack. V doesnt even show up in 69. Clear as day, its a V. Havent checked the bolts on the flywheel to see if there are 6 or 8 bolts, and it has a standard issue 440 balancer.
Wonder what the heck the V is. Any input?

There was an "M" code for a '69 440-390. Somebody with a hangover may have messed it up when they stamped the block. In '69, there was a 6BBL intake option available, it was a bolt on aluminum unit purchased directly from Edelbrock and was installed on the standard 375hp 440 engine. The '70 6BBL intake was a cast iron setup produced by Mopar with Mopar casting numbers. The '70 engine had the heavier rod setup, so called 6 pack rods and had the offset harmonic balancer and a different crankshaft. This option was not offered on any Chrysler however. Most likely, this was a stamping error.

Dave

Last edited:
thumbnail_IMG_3349.jpg

False alarm, kids. Must be an incomplete K. Eye doctor said if they made quadfocals I would need them but trifocals will have to do...
Thanks for the suggestion of a picture.

There was an "M" code for a '69 440-390. Somebody with a hangover may have messed it up when they stamped the block.

Dave

Way too early in the year to be a factory 6 bbl.
Wrong plant for 69 6 bbls
Engine codes not stamped on 69 6bbl cars.

Last edited:
Back