Engine woes: Distributor drive gear removal?

Isaiah Estrada

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Once again I’m stumped, so I’m turning to you all for some advice!

As you know, I’ve had everything mocked up for now on the motor to my 68 as we prepare for initial start. One thing I just realized (can’t believe I never did before) is that the distributor I bought is actually a 383 distributor! Meaning the drive gear cannot engage with the oil pump drive. Uh oh

Thinking I was SOL I realized that they sell these shafts. I still have the original distributor to my car (it’s tore up and very doubtful the vacuum advance even works.) What I’m thinking, can I simply just swap the intermediate shaft out with the one from the 440 unit?

If so, do you guys have any preferred method for doing this?

6BCBC9D7-C130-43FD-AA1B-2884BDB6C325.jpeg

Once again I’m stumped, so I’m turning to you all for some advice!

As you know, I’ve had everything mocked up for now on the motor to my 68 as we prepare for initial start. One thing I just realized (can’t believe I never did before) is that the distributor I bought is actually a 383 distributor! Meaning the drive gear cannot engage with the oil pump drive. Uh oh

Thinking I was SOL I realized that they sell these shafts. I still have the original distributor to my car (it’s tore up and very doubtful the vacuum advance even works.) What I’m thinking, can I simply just swap the intermediate shaft out with the one from the 440 unit?

If so, do you guys have any preferred method for doing this?

View attachment 567062

Eric: I don't think that will work, but you MAY be able to swap over the 383 distributor vacuum advance to the 440 distributor and get the result you are looking for.

The difference is in the distributor, not the intermediate shaft. You need a 440 distributor.

Last edited:
The difference is in the distributor, not the intermediate shaft. You n Ed a 440 distributor.

Good to know! I believe it was a mixup on the senders behalf. I’ll get in touch with them. It’s unused (I did specify a 440 distributor when I ordered). I’m sure I’ll get it worked out!

Back