440 Priming the oil pump

You're not going to get a geyser up top rolling the engine over by hand a couple times. For a used engine such as this I wouldn't be afraid to let it rip after getting psi on the gauge.

If it were my engine, that I really cared about, I would pull the valve covers, rotate the engine with a helper spinning the oil pump, get the oiling holes lined up on each side, and let oil flow through through the drainback holes in the heads, or better yet, if filling up the motor with new oil, try to dump a couple quarts down the holes to try and splash the cam with some oil if possible.
Also, it makes me feel better to hit each rocker arm with a dead blow hammer to make sure it isn't stuck, in the name of trying to save the cam.

Decided to pull the covers. After priming the engine and cranking her up for the first time I’m getting oil through the drivers side heads but nothing through the passenger. Have good oil pressure and increased RPM to see if oil would make its way there but nothing. Decided to shut down.

Is there any reason Oil would feed to one of the heads and not the others?

487C9490-60B3-4A24-B621-EB67220CC3F1.jpeg

A3327D6A-7237-4DBC-8618-1B41F18624FF.jpeg

In theory cam bearing could slip out of alignment.
You didn't have the rockers off correct?

If you did remove the rockers the shaft could have gotten installed incorrectly and the hole in the shaft may be in the wrong place. Easy check for that.

I have not had the rockers off, but I cannot speak for the PO which I received it from. @Polara_500 How would I go about checking the correct/incorrect positioning of the shaft? I may look through my FSM tonight

Back