Engineering a windshield solvent reservoir

73 New Yorker

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I’ve been looking for an OE windshield solvent reservoir for the last eight months. I’m tired of looking.
I was wondering if any of you have ever “engineered” a non original reservoir in your C body?

Thank you

You might investigate some of the aftermarket coolant recovery kits, for their reservoirs, as to where you might fit them on your car. Then, a pump from a Chrysler application which used a remote pump, ala '65-'66 Chryslers, if your car does not have a remote pump. I suspect the coolant recovery kit will use a top with a hose going through it, if so, then get a filter for the bottom of that line (or use a rubber line of smaller diameter and fix it to the existing top, OR use the correct snap-on top for a '69-era Chevy C-10 pickup or so), which has a connection on it for the rubber line going into the reservoir (with the slip-in filter at the bottom of it) and the rubber line going to the windshield washer pump. You shoiuld have the electrical plug-in for the OEM pump, so you can adapt that to the new remote pump . . . providing the existing pump is not separate, which will mean you can use it if it still works. Then just use appropriate-sized (or adapted size) rubber lines to the divider block in the washer lines on the cowl.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I have successfully fixed a brittle, cracked, but mostly intact original using resins to line the inside and outside. It is possible. I fixed 2 actually, one is my current one. All lower corners were missing, about the size of a qtr. I fixed a worse off one also. Both required sanding and a bit of paint to make it look acceptable. Of course this requires a crappy original. You have one?

Here is the link UV Resin and Washer Bottles!

Last edited:
Well if you now look for broken ones that people are giving away...it could be salvaged.

I forget what car I pirated the one for my 66 from but it mounted flat to the rad support. I buzzed a couple of self tappers through the mounting tabs where it sat nice on my rad support, front side if memory serves and used a parts store universal washer pump.

Kevin

The washer reservoir is in the works with @QQE to make a reproduction. Part# 3431154

My '70 300 uses the same reservoir and a previous owner installed a reservoir from a '74-78 Chrysler and it fits well enough that most people wouldn't know.

d4-62fa-49d4-a82a-89d5c260d994_zpsqavbwxmc-jpg-jpg.jpg

I know some will order the 67 68 tank and mount it to the fender just like 69 tanks do.

The company that Big John made reference to [QQE] has had the 3431154 Reservoir "in the works" for what??? 5 years now? or more? I don't know about the most recent progress of the QQE dream (because I have given up on it), but as Big John and the other members who have been in the club for a while will tell you...don't hold your breath! Ideas such as finding suitable replacement reservoirs from other Makes, Models, and Years is definately the way to go, in my humble opinion (for immediate use). With the inevitable molecular breakdown of these 50+ year old reservoirs, an original is pretty much useless at this time, with the exception of serving as a specimen for some Energetic, Pioneering Bottle Repro Company. Jokingly, we could add another Topic Heading in the Forum Menu; ALTERNATIVES TO THE 3431154. A sort of contest to see who of us can come up with the best looking, best fitting, most readily available reservoir from some other vehicle....that will work in our old boats. Ah well, close sesame, right? Good luck to all. Not Right, over and out!

Last edited:
The company that Big John made reference to [QQE] has had the 3431154 Reservoir "in the works" for what??? 5 years now? or more? I don't know about the most recent progress of the QQE dream (because I have given up on it), but as Big John and the other members who have been in the club for a while will tell you...don't hold your breath! Ideas such as finding suitable replacement reservoirs from other Makes, Models, and Years is definately the way to go, in my humble opinion (for immediate use). With the inevitable molecular breakdown of these 70 year old reservoirs, an original is pretty much useless at this time, with the exception of serving as a specimen for some Energetic, Pioneering Bottle Repro Company. Jokingly, we could add another Topic Heading in the Forum Menu; ALTERNATIVES TO THE 3431154. A sort of contest to see who of us can come up with the best looking, best fitting, most readily available reservoir from some other vehicle....that will work in our old boats. Ah well, close sesame, right? Good luck to all. Not Right, over and out!

Final tweaking of the molds were in progress last month.....so any minute now.

QQ might have a "soft release" of these reservoirs so good idea to keep asking them for updates whenever in contact...

I hope you are right. My idea of a soft release is that QQ comes directly to OUR Clubhouse and rings the hell out of the Dinner Bell, and screams "COME AND GET IT !!!". It will be nice to lay my hands on a couple of brand new bottles.., before my molecular breakdown takes place!

This is an off the shelf washer reservoir kit from NAPA. I didn't want anything too nice so it would remind me to keep praying for a repop.

20230215_113523.jpg

20230216_093017.jpg

Back