Epic 68 Polara bench seat rebuild for originality

I think it stretched out pretty good. It seems to be settling in. Next time I would probably add 1/4 in each side.
Installed my sliders now I think I will throw it in. And then start on my front seat backs. I should probably throw a copy of my build sheet back under the front and backs where I found them.
No more distractions. I want to finish my seats this weekend.
Rears finish and front bench finished front backs in process. I bagged the backs to compress the stuffing so I could verify my patterns. These backs are a little more tricky than the other seats.
Got the damn sausage stuffed. I am going to feel like I have been wrestling alligators tomorrow.
I also may tweak a couple of things in the drivers side. I learned the rear bottom of the seat back isn't quite horizontal. Once it stretches a little I may remove a couple of hog rings and align the pattern a little better.

Seam gusset to keep from splitting.

Had to install the seat back to get enough leverage to roll the cover down.

Almost down.

Hog ringed and in place.
Going to do a time elapse for my second back. So far I have everything cut out and the seat insert quilted.
I will check in when I go in or stop. I did adjust my pattern a little.
Seat cover is finished. Right at 3 hours to sew together. Did a little different sequence than the last one, it seemed to go smoother.
Sewed everything but the sides together.


Then sewed the cording on the side panels. Good choice


Then lined up the top seam on both sides and put some tack stitching in on both sides to hold it in place.


Finished cover inside out


Right side out. Next up stuff it on.
Done. For now. The front backs were the most difficult. Probably because they were the worst off which translated into my patterns. Maybe next winter I will pull them off and put in a little longer outside side panel. It should hav been about 1/2” longer. The transition curve at the bottom wants to pull. I will drive it this summer and decide if it is worth changing.
Because you did all the work, you see all the small items you may want to change or should have done differently. What I see is a awesome job done by a hobbyist that rivals what the pro would have done. I know every time we do a job we learn something, but they look outstanding. Take a bow, job well done sir.:thumbsup:
You did an excellent job on the seats!


I've been contemplating doing my own upholstery work for years. Somewhere along my travels I spotted a technical school that advertised automotive upholstery as one of their classes, and thought it may be a good idea to take that some day. I'll be interested to see what the final tally on hours will be for your seat project. My decision will come down to what makes financial sense, myself vs a professional shop. We have quite a few decent upholstery shops in this area, so prices are better than what you were finding up in your neck of the woods.

It's got to feel real good to have that phase of the restoration completed. Other than the glass, it's all nuts and bolts type of work till you hit the finish line.

@HWYCRZR Hrm, who else said this last weekend....
Seems to run in the family.

I would be willing to help. Just need to plan a year or so in advance so I am not under the gun.
The seats are good enough to make good patterns. We could work out something. Some assistance in labeling each part and taking them apart to make patterns, would cut some time. Also using modern methods to “tie” and support the seat springs, would save hours.


I probably need to use this handy dandy sewing machine in order to depreciate it down.
a year in advance is easy enough.
Plus, the seats can be worked on at any time, as the vert is obviously not ready to go any time soon. (Red Beast first)
I loved the thread. I'm fixing to do my headliner first and then the seats. SMS's prices scared me at 95.00/yard, 395.00 for a headliner. I picked up the material I'm going to use on sale at JoAnn's. This way if I do mess up it doesn't mess up my wallet.
I have done the headliner and back seat of my old Mustang years ago, saddle bags and motorcycle seats with an old Chandler straight stitch industrial machine.
I now have a Juki Compound feed and an old Singer walking foot. I bought the Juki 2 years ago when I got laid off during the Covid. I have redone a lot of snowmobile seats, a couple of boat seats, awnings and skirting for my pop up motorcycle camper.
I measured the headliner and am fixing to try it from measurements. I have always taken the seat covers apart and used the pieces for a pattern. We will see how it turns out.
As for the seats they only have a couple of 2-4 inch tears on the bottom. I'm going to pull the covers and reinforce the tears for now. I will probably attempt to recover them next winter.
Thanks for al the good info.