Epic Whoops thread.

ea61bd04c8897d89ee3175013a716503--toy-trucks-cool-stuff.jpg

This happened 31 years ago today, lost one Airman the was way in the back. I was on base when this happened.
42090050_2226958947345508_2729288885807874048_n.jpg

What was the cause of the accident?

-- On Sept. 17, 1987, a KC-10 exploded at Barksdale Air Force Base in Louisiana. Again, the cause was attributed to a fuel vapor explosion in the center fuel tank. One mechanic died.

Investigators found that fuel had leaked, and vapors probably had been ignited by arcing from a battery near the pump area for the tank.

Shortly after the incident, the Air Force ordered checks of all KC-10s and found a dozen similar leaks.

I took this from a article I found

-- On Sept. 17, 1987, a KC-10 exploded at Barksdale Air Force Base in Louisiana. Again, the cause was attributed to a fuel vapor explosion in the center fuel tank. One mechanic died.
Investigators found that fuel had leaked, and vapors probably had been ignited by arcing from a battery near the pump area for the tank.
Shortly after the incident, the Air Force ordered checks of all KC-10s and found a dozen similar leaks.
I took this from a article I found

This jet had had a repeat write-up for fuel fumes that maintenance couldn't duplicate. Isn't that always the case? They also had unnecessary components powered up while doing maint. Excessive fumes where written up again as this jet had just completed a mission when it landed. Fumes/fuel in the battery compartment, and all it took was one spark. There were 2 separate explosions, this jet had 62K of fuel in it's center tank when it went up. All the victim had to do was put on a O2 mask and ride it out, he didn't have a burn or scratch on him. But his lungs were caked with black crap.

Last edited:
View attachment 214324

How did that happen?
Someone was illiterate.

View attachment 214325
Mack's only have double frame from the rear up to the back of the cab. Not a uncommon problem with Mack tri-axels. Usually happens with the body up, one side will collapse.
Fix is buy a Paccar product with a 200,000psi rated double frame from front spring hangers to dump body pin brackets.

Back