Epic Whoops thread.

That's expensive. When did that happen?
Recently I think via 'Fail Of The Dragon' FB group. (past couple of weeks) There was a whole group of Ferrari's there, and at that corner some were stopped and a woman in the group taking picture was almost hit by that car. :wideyed:

1970 Dodge Challenger Barn Find Engine Bay Mess.jpg

That's a old old vintage picture, lotta muscle cars ended up in the boneyard this way. I can still remember one of the most scariest rides I ever took in a muscle car was one in a 68/69(?) Chevy 396 SS Nova that the guy bought from the insurance settlement he got where he lost his right arm in a crash from riding shotgun in his buddies SS Camaro when it went sideway into a very large tree. The Nova was a 4spd too, he would let go of the steering wheel and reach over with his left hand during a full throttle power shift to bang gears as the car was burning rubber sideways and I was watching the hippie beads or what do they call that Indian thing 'Dream Catcher'(?) hanging from the dome light sway/slam back and forth with every shift. Lucky to be alive after that ride. Then there was the large crime scene black and white pictures of a overturned car in the brush and broken pole with downed wires from the state police on the wall of a friend's bachelor pad house. I asked my friend what this was all about, he said that was from his housemate Joe's Z28 crash where he got a DUI and his girlfriend ended up very hurt. The clencher to this story is that we were making a out of state road trip many many years later and just happened to go by the accident scene and my friend stops the truck and gets out and searches through the brush and finds a broken piece of the Z28's front spoiler and say's "This is living proof that Joe actually once owned a car" he said he was going to put it up on the the wall next to the pictures... heh.

Then the older brother of the guy I got my 1st 1968 PK21 from had just bought a new 1970 B5 Road Runner trading in his bargain baseline 1968 Road Runner. I only saw the 1970 RR once passing me in traffic but I heard it was pretty well optioned car, 4spd too, don't know if it had a 440 in it, but I was hoping too maybe upgrade to it in a year or two, then he crashed it, supposedly fell asleep on the turnpike and went into the guard rail, I asked how badly is it? My former PK21 owner said it's totaled, gone.. the insurance company took it.

I don't know where my 1st PK21 440.6bbl (cast iron manifold) engine came from, I got the car in the fall of 1970 and the previous owner only had it for just over a year, originally equipped with the 383 4bbl pursuit motor, then he power slid the car into a fire hydrant and tore the passenger quarter all up so bad I heard there were holes from the hydrants bolt cap tearing into it. He had full coverage collision and had a new quarter panel done but talk around town was that the cars gotta be bent and nobody would touch it thus I got it in a trade/buy deal for like $900 total. I looked at the quarter work and it looked fine to me just like a new car, but it seems when it came out of the body shop it had the 6bbl engine in it then. Same for his oldest brother that had a 1967 Hemi GTX and 1969 440 6.bbl GTX 4spd, I learned later over the years that the 6bbl engine wasn't a option available on the 1969 GTX but it had the RR 6bbl fiberglass lift off hood when I looked at trading my DD for the car in 1973/74. I missed that sale and the kid that bought it power slid it into a Chevy Vega bashing the passenger side quarter so bad that the wheel well was crunched/shifted over and the quarter glass broken. I remember now when the oldest brother gave me a Holley 3.bbl carb to swap out my 6bbl's for gas mileage, I came back to him to get the manifold for it and when we were looking around in his garage one night for the manifold I saw a 1969 yellow GTX hood in the garage but we found no 3bbl manifold with only him saying, I think I gave it to my brother to put on his RR (1970?). Did his 69 GTX get a 440 6bbl engine from his brothers crashed 1970 B5 RR????.... Sometimes you don't ask too many questions.

Tens of thousands of these car came off the assembly line, many thousands ended up totaled in the boneyards, I was finding body hulks of them still in the early 80's when I was walking the yards looking for a front clip for my 1977 PK41, even found a smashed up rotted R code convertible Cuda in one yard, guy knew what he had too. (I wonder if that one ever made it across the block @BJ)

Back