Export / Import cost to Sweden/EU

66/440

Reaction score
I know there are quite a few members here that reside in The EU and some in Sweden.
I plan on going to the "Big Show" this year. I have a car that may possibly be for sale after I arrive and am trying to educate myself on the in's and out's of :
1). Best way to get a car there.
2). If I do decide to sell while the car is on a waiver what is the process and what does it cost?

Looking forward to hearing your answers along with your observations about the show and doing car business in Sweden and the EU. I am not Sweden exclusive that is just where I will be in July so please, for the rest of you guys that live in other parts of Europe weigh in with your thoughts and observations. Educate Me!!

In order to get a classic car imported into the EU, first look for the VAT rates. For instance, I live in Italy, where they slap a whopping 22% on the total value (purchase price plus sea transport costs), after first having increased that value by 10% ("dazio"). Therefore I imported the car through Holland, where they only apply a 6% VAT rate. With the money saved I could easily pay for surface transport from Holland to Italy. This was two years ago.

For Sweden, figure out those variables, ie. VAT and transport costs from port of entry.

A friend of mine did exactly what you are planning to do for 20-25 years ago. He shipped a 67 Newport convertible to Sweden and used it here for a month driving around with US plates. He bought what we call a tourist insurance at the customs so he could drive it with a valid Us registration and US drivers licence. He had a problem when he sold the car, according to the rules it would have to leave Sweden in order to be imported. I dont knew if it is like that now. He filled up the car with parts to sell to help to pay for the trip therefor he sent it in a container from the east coast. There are also possible to send it on RORO ship, cheaper but more dangerous.

Import duties to Sweden for a 30 year or older car are 10% custom dues on the price + freight and on top of that 25% sales tax.

Container freight from Baltimoore to Sweden $1450 + port fees, RORO $1250 + fees. It is doable but get a brooker to help you.

I am not 100% sure but it is what I remember and know.

Ola

In order to get a classic car imported into the EU, first look for the VAT rates. For instance, I live in Italy, where they slap a whopping 22% on the total value (purchase price plus sea transport costs), after first having increased that value by 10% ("dazio"). Therefore I imported the car through Holland, where they only apply a 6% VAT rate. With the money saved I could easily pay for surface transport from Holland to Italy. This was two years ago.

For Sweden, figure out those variables, ie. VAT and transport costs from port of entry.
Thanks for your information I really appreciate it!

A friend of mine did exactly what you are planning to do for 20-25 years ago. He shipped a 67 Newport convertible to Sweden and used it here for a month driving around with US plates. He bought what we call a tourist insurance at the customs so he could drive it with a valid Us registration and US drivers licence. He had a problem when he sold the car, according to the rules it would have to leave Sweden in order to be imported. I dont knew if it is like that now. He filled up the car with parts to sell to help to pay for the trip therefor he sent it in a container from the east coast. There are also possible to send it on RORO ship, cheaper but more dangerous.

Import duties to Sweden for a 30 year or older car are 10% custom dues on the price + freight and on top of that 25% sales tax.

Container freight from Baltimoore to Sweden $1450 + port fees, RORO $1250 + fees. It is doable but get a brooker to help you.

I am not 100% sure but it is what I remember and know.

Ola
Thanks for taking time to answer my post! Your information is very helpful.

I bought from Sweden, to the UK ! nightmare paperwork issues, never again...
:BangHead::soapbox:

Back