Factory 1963 300J 4-speed

1964 300K factory 4-speed.

3349E32C-385A-40BB-80F7-A244EBFF9869.jpeg

One of none 1963 300J 4-speed “option catalog car”.

A1F0EC87-FB00-462B-84E2-29A9A88E5AAB.jpeg

84 300K 4-speeds built.

50 hardtops, 34 convertibles.

13 known hardtops, 4 convertibles. Super rare MoPar executive muscle!!

The 4-speed in this configuration, is a one year only option.

1965 300L 4-speed is also a one year only option.

9BB1186D-7659-4EF5-A034-51FED4D51451.jpeg

Last edited:
I have the 3 speed manual trans floor shift in my 61 Newport. This trans was used for a few years post the 60 French transmission. The shifter comes out of the side of the tunnel, and does not protrude through the console. In fact, it has a small metal perch built right on to the side of the tunnel, away from the console area upon which the shifter sits. It has a rubber boot which covers any opening with a thick rubber gasket which goes over the shifter arms/rods to prevent water and air infiltration. I have a spare shifter, gaskets, and a pedal assembly should anyone want photos. They also have a strange plate bolted to the floor on the underside as a linkage pivot with a reinforcement plate on the interior.

I have the 3 speed manual trans floor shift in my 61 Newport. This trans was used for a few years post the 60 French transmission. The shifter comes out of the side of the tunnel, and does not protrude through the console. In fact, it has a small metal perch built right on to the side of the tunnel, away from the console area upon which the shifter sits. It has a rubber boot which covers any opening with a thick rubber gasket which goes over the shifter arms/rods to prevent water and air infiltration. I have a spare shifter, gaskets, and a pedal assembly should anyone want photos. They also have a strange plate bolted to the floor on the underside as a linkage pivot with a reinforcement plate on the interior.
Pics wanted please and thank you

I know where there is/was a '64 4 speed convertible, not sure if reg 300 or letter car. In Wisconsin sitting in a barn. Was hit in the front and needs a full resto.

Hello, I am in search of production numbers of non letter car 64's with 4 speeds. Any one have that info?

And, to clarify, 64 and 65 are the only years a Chrysler (not Dodge or Plymouth) can be a 4 speed? No 66's, 67's etc.?

Neat thread,

Thank you, Geoff

@Fury Pursuit Your thread title says Factory 1963 300J 4 speed. Where does it say that is a 4 speed trans in fig. 18? The 300J specs in post number 2 list the optional trans as a 3 speed with performance linkage.

There was a member here with a screen name 300j4speed, or something like that. His name was Lynn and he has passed on. He was a longtime 300 and forward look enthusiast. He was asked about his car which he converted a 4 speed. He said they never made any in a 4 speed.

1960 300F specials came with the French 4 speed.
1961 300G 3 speed only (pictured in post 3)

IF they did make a 4 speed car prior to 1964, whose gearbox would they use? Chrysler didn’t have their own 4 speed until 1964. 1963 B-body uses a T10 for the 4 speed.

The Chrysler 300 club International had been around since 1970 and several of the charter members are still active. They have been all over this stuff since then. They don’t acknowledge any 4 speeds available in 1963.

View attachment 537381
Correct on the 3 speed in a J. (The pic above is my J btw) In my 50+ years around the 300's, I've NEVER seen a stick J. Dad always wanted one but never found one. My 4 spd '65 L has the shifter coming out of the center of the console.

Yes, on the side. I have a '61 with the A745 3 speed floor shift manual with side access and the weird boot as mentioned. 62 is the same also. I also have a '63 transmission (an A745 3 speed) out of a low mileage car, and several other A745 transmissions, a shifter mechanism and a set of pedals.

I have been gathering transmissions, internal parts, external pieces, and rebuild kits for several years. Get'em when you can!

People either love or hate the non-synchro 1st gear. Just takes some getting used to and the forming of a habit to touch second gear before engaging 1st from a stop, or letting it spin down.

Honestly, A 300 J with a manual... would be a miserable driver. My 4 spd L is really awful in most driving situations.

1701565425965.png

This is a factory photo from the 1963 Chrysler 300 options catalog. It states the 4-speed manual transmission was available for the 300 J.

I'm not saying that any were built, or that they actually made them....it's just in the catalog. Was there one made?????

1701565704681.png

Honestly, A 300 J with a manual... would be a miserable driver. My 4 spd L is really awful in most driving situations.
Do you have a picture-thread on your car on here anywhere?
Have you posted it into the 4-speed C-body thread?
If not, please do! Love to see as many of these cars as possible.

Back