Factory lug nut size, chrome trim rings, hub caps...'67 Newport

OneEyed

Reaction score
I'll be taking the chrome rims off my 67 Newport in the next month or so and I'm not thrilled about the factory hub caps going back on.

My plan is to paint the wheels blue and add some chrome nuts and if possible chrome rings and center caps.

Is this possible with the factory base model wheel?

Can anyone point me to some ebay links?

My studs were converted over to RH threads, so can I just buy any 1/2-20 60 degree nuts? I saw some bullet style that look kind of neat.

I had to run these lug nuts on my 1st Gen crewcab, so I could run the center caps from a 2nd Gen truck as well. Anyway they are Dorman 611-175. Look for a box of 10. They are a 3/4" hex, with 1/2"x20 thread, and have a nice wide flare and ridge on them. I keep meaning to get 20 for the wagon. With the wide cone and ridge, it is so much nicer because the socket doesn't bounce off the rim, it rests on the lug nut only. ;)

$_57.JPG

If you get them from E-bay, make sure to ask if it's a box of 10. I had one seller only send me "ONE" lug nut, for the price of a box of 10. He claimed that the auction stated one lug nut...but it didn't.

So am I at least correct with the 60 degree conical seat?

Those lug nuts will work just fine with steel rims , the ones with the free-wheeling conical ends are primarily for alloy rims and they won't chew into or collapse the seat on soft aluminum rims rather they will just push inwards and stop spinning when their tight.

Back