Factory Radio Wiring Question

Jon O.

Reaction score
Like many of us, my 1972 Newport has an AM only mono radio. It also has the fader and rear speaker. I recently picked up a factory AM/FM radio. The problem is, the output wires are stereo. Is there a way to wire it into the original setup without frying anything?

Stereo faders were wired for TWO sets of wires going to the back, not one, as you now have. Yet they all looked the same in the instrument panel.

Also, the factory stereo radios were configured for FIVE speakers. Three across the front of the instrument panel top and two in the rear. There was a Clectron "divider box" that made that work. So what you probably have is three wires out of the radio. Right, left, and ground. Which then went to the Clectron to get the front speakers, plus adding the two rear speakers.

Seems like there are some threads in here on doing away with the "didn't know about" Clectron box, with details? BTAIM

Not quite the same as just adding an aftermarket stereo to the vehicle. But with three front speakers, it could image the music against the windshield for a very good stereo experience back in the "right and left" times, rather than the later "no channel seperation/boombox" times, from my experiences.

Factory wiring schematics are available in the factory service manual downloads at www.mymopar.com . The radios should wire the same as in '69-'73 C-body cars, I suspect. Free downloads. The radio wiring is in these schematics, too, but it might take some looking to find them.

You might also note that you might find FOUR rear 6x9 speaker cut-outs in the rear shelf panel. Just need to remove the factory jute insulation (perforated slits are in the jute to help in cutting it).

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Like many of us, my 1972 Newport has an AM only mono radio. It also has the fader and rear speaker. I recently picked up a factory AM/FM radio. The problem is, the output wires are stereo. Is there a way to wire it into the original setup without frying anything?
Hi Jon
Below is your current wiring, as long as 1972 and 1973 are same.
My guess is that your am/fm stereo unit has a violet wire, not pictured. With stereo, violet and dark green give left and right channels. Red is power and black is ground.
There might be a way to bypass the fader and wire the violet left channel directly to front and rear left side speakers. If your Newport has a single front and single rear speaker, you could take out the fader, wire dark green to front and violet to rear.
AM radio.jpg

A picture of the wiring at the rear of your stereo radio might help us. Ben

That schematic helps a lot, thank you. My car has two speakers. One dash, and one rear. It looks like the best option is to wire each speaker as an individual channel. Green to front, and violet to rear as you said. I read about wiring both channels together with a resistor between them, but keeping them separate seems much safer to me. I'd rather not burn up a good radio.
I have been on the lookout for a nice one for some time now. This one has no paint chips or anything and really cleaned up nicely. The pushbuttons were stuck, I easily got them free by separating a rotating disk that had stuck together. With a little oil, the buttons move very quick and smoothly. I have to strong-arm the presets on my old radio.
20220204_212801.jpg
20220204_212740.jpg

That schematic helps a lot, thank you. My car has two speakers. One dash, and one rear. It looks like the best option is to wire each speaker as an individual channel. Green to front, and violet to rear as you said. I read about wiring both channels together with a resistor between them, but keeping them separate seems much safer to me. I'd rather not burn up a good radio.
I have been on the lookout for a nice one for some time now. This one has no paint chips or anything and really cleaned up nicely. The pushbuttons were stuck, I easily got them free by separating a rotating disk that had stuck together. With a little oil, the buttons move very quick and smoothly. I have to strong-arm the presets on my old radio.
View attachment 513437View attachment 513438
Good plan! And nice work on the radio.

Back