Fan clutch.

Big Block

Reaction score
Hello there Chrysler gearheads .Here is my question how does one know when your fan clutch is not functioning properly. When the car is ideling the blade spins fine so it appears. But on the highway one does not know if it is ingauging properly. Is there a surefire way to determine if a fan clutch is getting bad. I cleaned it up but I believe it's original so it's 45 plus years old any tips would be great..thanks guys. It's a 440 71 New Yorker with the 7 wing/blade fan.

I had my '79 New Yorker checked over and he replace the fan clutch and the evaporator. I could see the clutch weeping some internal oil for some time.one thing for sure is the volume of air noise was much greater when warm with the fan clutch replaced. You could really hear the difference.

It's impossible to know at highway speeds - even if it were disengaged because airflow is cooling sufficiently, the airflow will still rotate the fan.

The fan is designed to free-wheel when the engine doesn't require cooling, at any speed. Therefore the way to test a clutch fan is when the engine is off and cold, you should be able to move the fan by hand fairly easily.

With the engine hot and off (say after city traffic for an hour), the fan should be hard to move by hand.

Even on the freeway, if my 440 is hot I can hear the clutch kick in - the fan just simply makes a lot of noise.

It's impossible to know at highway speeds - even if it were disengaged because airflow is cooling sufficiently, the airflow will still rotate the fan.

The fan is designed to free-wheel when the engine doesn't require cooling, at any speed. Therefore the way to test a clutch fan is when the engine is off and cold, you should be able to move the fan by hand fairly easily.

With the engine hot and off (say after city traffic for an hour), the fan should be hard to move by hand.
Thank you sir for the excellent info. You folks on this site are terrific.

Back