Fender pentastar question

Fireguyfire

Reaction score
I’m refinishing my 1970 300 convertible, and I’m working on the passenger side fender and door.
I’ve removed the fender pentastar and it is basically all black plastic now from years of abuse, so I can’t tell what the original colour was over the black plastic.
I see that both gold and silver pentastar are sold out there for 1970 Chryslers.
What would be the correct colour of pentastar for a 70 300 convertible, and I’m also curious which cars would have gotten gold or silver, and why.

1970 is Gold. silver to gold was a certain year. I believe it was 1966 and older.

D46C6288-3D76-44AF-956C-FD2E88AABB09.jpeg

I'm thinking they all should be gold, no matter the model year. Perhaps the silver is after the gold anodize went away (for whatever reason)?

CBODY67

If you google mopar fender pentastar both silver and gold are sold by most of the aftermarket parts places

If you google mopar fender pentastar both silver and gold are sold by most of the aftermarket parts places
Doesn't mean the factory did it that way. Earlier ones had a tin can that the gold would get worn off. Later ones were gold embossed plastic. (I do not know the timeframe)

Alan

Last edited:
Correct; didn’t mean that both were factory correct, but both are definitely out there for sale

Black plastic with a gold foil insert from 67 up. OER has a good reproduction. If your gold is gone the gold foil probably fell off when the glue gave up.

My 72 Polara does not have a pentastar on the fender, I'm not sure why Mopar did away with them on these models.

My '70 DH43N0D Monaco Brougham has a gold one inset into the Monaco lower fender molding, on the normal rh side. Our '66 Newport Town Sedan (initial production) has the gold one, too.

CBODY67

Back