'fess up. Who here hasn't driven a stickshift?

I used to take my friend's 52 Desoto to car shows so he could take HIS 50 Cadillac. You only use the clutch to put it in gear. After that you ease up on accelerator to let it shift. I made the mistake originally saying Dad showed us on a 50 Desoto, it was a 52.

I used to take my friend's 52 Desoto to car shows so he could take HIS 50 Cadillac. You only use the clutch to put it in gear. After that you ease up on accelerator to let it shift. I made the mistake originally saying Dad showed us on a 50 Desoto, it was a 52.
My 53 Windsor has the M6 transmission. There's two ranges, low and high with 2 speeds in each range. You lift the gas, the ignition shuts off and a solenoid shifts the transmission between those 2 speeds. You manually select the high/low ranges.

I haven't driven mine yet.... I still have some work to do.

The M6 automatic transmission

This is one fascinating thread. There seems to be no end to transmission types. I can do lots of things that are complicated but I have to take a bow for the transmission engineers of the world.

Has anyone driven a car with the new Direct Shift Gear transmission ? Its basically a manual transmission that is shifted automatically, or you can shift it manually. Its pretty cool. As you manually down-shift it, the computer revs the engine to synch engine speed with the speed of gear box, and when you up-shift, the gear change and clutch engagement is very quick and smooth. Some cars have paddle shifters on the steering wheel - ala Formula 1.

It's now gotten to the point when these new trannies crap the bed, they won't be repairable. You're going to have to have it replaced with a new one for thousands of dollars. Just a wretched excess of answers to questions nobody asked.

I would prefer my 2016 300 come with a TorqueFlite. Absolutely nothing wrong with them.

Has anyone driven a car with the new Direct Shift Gear transmission ? Its basically a manual transmission that is shifted automatically, or you can shift it manually. Its pretty cool. As you manually down-shift it, the computer revs the engine to synch engine speed with the speed of gear box, and when you up-shift, the gear change and clutch engagement is very quick and smooth. Some cars have paddle shifters on the steering wheel - ala Formula 1.

The true versions burn clutches up at an alarming rate. Shifting is lightening fast of course, but no where near as fun after a few miles, imo.

A few pics I thought you guys might enjoy, from the autumn that I worked gathering the raw ingredients for French Fries.

:lol:
Image (190).jpg

bin der done dat....beets and onions to....is why l now have a taste for classical music....

It's now gotten to the point when these new trannies crap the bed, they won't be repairable. You're going to have to have it replaced with a new one for thousands of dollars. Just a wretched excess of answers to questions nobody asked.

I would prefer my 2016 300 come with a TorqueFlite. Absolutely nothing wrong with them.

The true versions burn clutches up at an alarming rate. Shifting is lightening fast of course, but no where near as fun after a few miles, imo.

A Torqueflite with something like a GVOD behind it, but sharing fluid with the trans would be what I would rather have, but then I'm kinda old sckool. :)
My take on it is that they want it to be so expensive to repair that many , if not most, people will just throw the car away.

as mentioned by other european members already:

you need to learn on a stickshift car for the drivers liscense.
Manuals are big fun, I currently have 5 Mopar muscle cars that are 4-speed cars.

Carsten

Last edited:
manuals...lmao....am watching the new Canadians here take a dozen stabs at parallel parking before there even close...throw in a manual and their toast....hmm..mayby Germany has the right idea....

Years ago my oldest daughter decided she needed wheels and coincidentally a buddy of mine had a Mazda pickup he was willing to part with. So we drove south of Calgary about 20 miles to Okotoks to take a look. I test drove it, asked her what she thought and a deal was made. I gave her the keys and told her I'd follow her back to Calgary. She got in, looked everything over and said, "Dad what's the second brake for, just the rear wheels?". After a half dozen trips up and down the alley she drove it to Calgary. I don't know what made her happier, that she had her own wheels or that she had mastered the manual gear box. Myself, I was amazed at the crap that Mazda was put through in the 3 years or so she drove it. :D

With a 78 lock up converter....

Apparently you can no longer get a full size pickup with a manual - is this really true? Buddy of mine bought one of those Government Motors Charity trucks a couple years back, a CHevy. Said they offered only automatics. Said Ford and Dodge were the same. Automatic tranny and crammed with electrical convenience gadgets that break, power-everything. You're right, Stan - they're forcing the consumerism crap onto everyone by building crap you either can't fix or isn't worth fixing. Been going on for years, just look at the plug-n-play-then-throw-away electronics world.

The story about Bill's daughter learning to drive a stick reminded me - I got to teach my mom how to drive a manual with a '82 Mercury Lynx. That was a hoot! Got her to where she could drive it fine, then she just gave up and made dad trade it in for something with an automatic. Sheesh.

Great story, the red head was smokin' hot wasn't she? Well she was in my mind anyways...

She was, but in that 'girl-next-door', wholesome kinda way. Beautiful, really. Turned out to be from a very wealthy family but you'd never have known. She wore Levis and flannel shirts, cut off shorts in summer, etc. Not into warpaint....er....makeup, or all the catty pretenses.

Somewhere I have a photo taken before going to her prom. If I can find it, I'll post it. Funny for a couple reasons, including the '68 MOPAR connection. A story unto itself.

And that is why this is my daily driver... Simplest comfortable "new" car I could find. 2010 Grand Marquis.

Back