Filler tube lenght

roadcuda

Reaction score
I have a '69 Sport Fury Convertible. The filler tube end sits very high, it's up behind the bumper and a real pain to get the gas nozzle into it. No matter how slow I pump the gas it spits out. My question is, what should the overall length of the tube be and how far should it extend out from the tank? Thanks

Hey Steve!!

Everyone will now ask for pictures (sound familiar?)

It sounds like the tube is not pushed in all the way. Hopefully someone here can make a measurement for you.

I had a problem on my Polara where the vapor recovery boot was hanging up on the bumper making it difficult to remove. I simply put some weight on the novel while I was filling and bent the hanger bracket down a little. Our tanks were not designed for todays pumps.

Look it over the problem may not be the filler pipe.

Alan

Thanks gents. I have thought that the tube might not be pushed in all the way but just wanted to check on the length in case somehow the tube was changed. My thought was that if it was too long and I just pushed it in it might not allow for the tank filling all the way if the high level of the gas covers the end of the tube. I'll look at it tomorrow.

A can of brake Clean and ah couple squirtz around the the tube and the rubber donut andwith a little rock back and forth the tube will slide down in like it'z been greased with hot butter. Move fast tho' before it evaporatez. One ah them thingz yeah pick up in the "no s**t" world on lifez journey

Good tip Jer! And welcome to the site from the Motor City roadcuda!

Welcome to the site, :sSig_greetingsthor:

lets see some pictures of this 69 Sport Fury Vert :eek:ccasion14:

Here's the best pic I have so far. It has a 383 2bbl, ps, pb, That's my '65 Formula S with it. The Fury was driven just over 300 miles from CT to Carlisle and ran great.

I fixed the problem with the filler neck. I noticed that there is a slight bend to the tube about 3" before the tank. Well when it was installed it was turned the wrong way. Also the bracket that holds the end seems to be very short. So I took some extra nuts, and a longer bolt to lower the bracket by about 3/4". This allowed the tube end to clear the bumper and the gas nozzle to be fully inserted. I still have to wonder if it's the right tube since I had to add the spacer to the bracket to make it clear the bumper

WP_20150709_005.jpg

Back