Finally got a parts car 77NYB

Reaction score
Time to strip off parts I wanna keep Should be able to save a few parts.

IMG_20180114_172048721_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180114_172039086_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180114_171956256_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180114_170134766_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180114_165537186_HDR.jpg

Not for sale I hooked a buddie up with the deal paid $650 for complete car. I keeping what I want then he's gonna derby it.

I'm stripping it for a buddie I get to keep what ever parts I want.

What does he want it for?
Gotta read between the lines, Stan.

Not for sale I hooked a buddie up with the deal paid $650 for complete car. I keeping what I want then he's gonna derby it.
See?

Take everything, I mean everything. If it can be unbolted, unscrewed, you know the drill. You'd be surprised what some people are looking for.

Yea true but I don't have the time to Shipp all that stuff. May pull everything and offer it up someone come buy the hole pile.

The parts car is a 78 NYB Salon...even has the proper wheels (even if the aluminum fascias are missing).

The parts car is a 78 NYB Salon...even has the proper wheels (even if the aluminum fascias are missing).
Well...
That changes things, doesn't it.

Let him smash up what's left of a Salon? ugh I wouldn't want to be the guy there in a position to save it but watches while it gets derbied.

Last edited:
Hello Payton, while I disapprove of the fate of this car... I certainly applaud your efforts to save what you can. It is a shame that she looks so sun burned, I assume the interior is shot too. That was once a great car.

I'm going to go through some highlights for when you part her, I am sure several others here can give you additional details to look for... I am also going to give you an idea of what I would be interested in buying, I will also send you a "conversation" to start a dialogue for price and details. I don't mind the forum seeing what I have interest in... somebody else may find the items someday, if I still want them.
img_20171217_173226307-jpg.jpg

The above picture shows (1) the rear glass and plug to fill the opening... I would be interested in both. I believe (haven't removed one myself) the plug is screwed on around the perimeter. I think it might be best to remove the plug and glass as an assembly, which may help it travel better too, but if it gets twisted... the glass may break. (2) The trailer hitch may be of interest to me or someone else. It will be a matter of a few pictures showing how it is attached to the car. (3) If you are ambitious, the reverse light inside the bumper and the rear bumper guards may still be in good shape, while there get the reflectors out of the bumper very carefully. Those are all hard to find parts... unfortunately, they are also low demand items. (4) With the bumper off, the filler panels right above the bumper usually get damaged when parting these cars, they might be good to grab (5) Tail light assemblies are pretty common, but are unique for 1978 (6) the cast extensions that house them have nuts you can get to inside the trunk... careful, the studs break off easily.

img_20180114_172048721_hdr-jpg.jpg

For this above picture, (1) getting the window switches (2) and motors is a no-brainer... the switches are easily damaged and are not readily available. (3) The front door glass was made with and without vent windows, would remove the glass carefully and gut everything out of the door and bag separately... Murphy's law, when you want door parts from one with vents, all you find is without (and vise-versa). I have been assured by a reliable source that the glass is different and unique in 1978 @1978 NYB , I do not know if the guts will be needed to use it on an earlier car. (4) Exterior door handles in nice shape are desireable.(5) You already have a taker for the outside mirrors (the passenger cable runs into the dash, but you'll be there anyhow) make sure you include the spanner nuts. (6) The turning light assemblies are often damaged when removed, they have nuts on the back and are sometime sought after by someone with a broken one.
img_20180114_172039086_hdr-jpg.jpg

Just using this above picture to remind you (1) those wheels have some value, swap them out and save them or sell them... don't let them get destroyed. (2) Inside the car, the padded steering wheel is desirable if in nice condition (I would send you a cracked swap wheel if it is). (3) Power antenna is sought after, but you need to remove the inner fender to get it. (4) Anything A/C related is worth a little, but I believe you have manual A/C... if you remove the entire system (boxes inside and outside the bulkhead) there are folks who are looking for a complete set up to swap out of ATC II, but it's a lot of work. (5) Any good interior items are worth saving... The power seat motor/transmission are also a PITA to find, IDK if your guy is using them.
img_20180114_171956256_hdr-jpg.jpg

Under the hood, (1)the brake booster's are getting hard to get, but don't have a huge demand (yet). (2) IIRC you are taking the driveline, it has some value as cores. (3) keep the A/C lines intact, the metal parts may be used to make new hoses... desirable to someone who has a damaged compressor if their lines are full of metal. The condenser may be good too.
img_20180114_170134766_hdr-jpg.jpg

The front bumper I assume is going to the derby, (1) if in good condition, the "nerf" strip has nuts on the back side and is difficult to find. as are the bumper guards. (2) never hurts to have a spare headlight door motor (3) you have an interested party for the grilles (4) If the turn signal lenses are in good condition, keep them. They're tough to find and pricey if really nice. They all seem to crack in the sun. (5) as much else as you can bear to remove emblem wise, nice ones are not so common, though yours look kind of baked.
img_20180114_165537186_hdr-jpg.jpg

What a gorgeous car she would be, I know the $$ would never make sense, but that car's a beauty. If there's a title and I had the time, I would try to swap out my parts car's parts car with your derby guy.

My parts car for the parts car...
thumbnail_20170819_175553-jpg.jpg
thumbnail_20170819_175522-jpg.jpg

My parts car I like too much to kill...
P7180001.JPG
P7130001.JPG

Thanks for the outline Jeff.. if he’s got the time, he could make his money back just in parts, and then some I’d suppose..

“REST IN PEACE” NYB! Give’em hell in the derby. Lol

Back